11 New Girl Quotes That Sum Up Your 20's

"Hey girl, what'cha doin'? Hey girl, where 'ya goin'?"
758

As someone who has spent the weekend binge-watching New Girl, I can definitely say that I had forgotten how great it is since the last time I watched it. The characters in the loft are all so unique and three-dimensional: qualities many sitcoms overlook in order to sell typical character archetypes. New Girl's witty, diverse cast has had some of the most underrated, golden lines that will make anyone feel better about the life they're living--especially if you fell like this whole "adulting" thing is too hard sometimes.

1."I just panic ordered $200 worth of Chinese food." -Nick Miller

We all known the feeling. You get your direct deposit in your bank account and then suddenly you have no money, no dignity, and you're sitting in a pile of takeout boxes at 2 a.m. It happens to the best of us. Luckily we have Nick to relate to.

2. "Okay, hey! I got something to say to you, man. I brake for birds. I rock a lot of polka dots. I have touched glitter in the last 24 hours. I spend my entire day talking to children, and I find it fundamentally strange that you're not a dessert person. It's just weird and it freaks me out, and I'm sorry I don't talk like Murphy Brown, and I hate your pantsuit. I wish it had ribbons on it, or just something to make it slightly cuter, and that doesn't mean I'm not smart and tough and strong!" -- Jess Day

This is one of my favorite quotes, though it's a long one. Jess perfectly captures the idea that femininity does not equal lesser or weaker than more masculine things. She is true to herself and doesn't pretend to be someone she isn't.

3. "If I were off my rocker, would I take a weekly selfie with my cat?" -Winston Bishop

Winston is the character on New Girl that I relate to the most: not really sure where he's going in life for the first few seasons, loves singing showtunes in the car, and his best friend is his cat, Ferguson. Loving your pet more than other people isn't that weird.

4. "The economy stinks, bees are dying, and movies are pretty much all sequels now!" --Schmidt

Schmidt summed up everything wrong with the world in a nutshell, here. This shows the perfect balance between global issues and "first-world problems" to make the burden of the world's issues seem a little lighter on your shoulders.

5. "I know Word, and I can open a document, Save. Save As. Print. Print Preview!" - Winston Bishop

Here, Winston perfectly captures the 20-something millenial trying to add anything they possibly can to their resume, or saying anything they can to get a job. The struggle is real.

6. "Just because I don't have a husband, or a baby, or a house doesn't mean I'm not living right!" -Jess Day

There's no right way to live life, as long as you're living the life you want. Not everyone has the same timeline, so not everyone will get married, have kids, or buy houses as young as they used to--or at all, especially in this economy. Jess reminds viewers that sometimes all you need are great friends to share your life with.

7. "I just wanted to listen to Taylor Swift alone." -Jess Day

We all have those days. Life is beating you down, boys suck, and angst-filled Taylor Swift breakup songs are the only thing that will get you through the day.

8. "Where are you, Schmidt? This place is fancy and I don't know which fork to kill myself with." -Nick Miller

This is the feeling you get when you go out to eat to a place that actually doesn't have a drive-thru, for once. I feel you, Nick.

9. "I mean, I'm not doing squats or anything. I'm trying to eat less doughnuts." -Nick Miller

Sometimes you have to take baby-steps to getting healthier and that's okay. You might not be running marathons and eating organic salads, but at least you aren't gorging yourself on doughnuts and sweets as often. Nick understands the struggle of having a decent diet that isn't built upon the aisles of a gas station instead of a farmer's market.

10. "You were denied a cell phone because you have the credit score of a homeless ghost!"-Winston

Money is a hard thing to handle when you're fumbling around in the adult world for the first time. No one understand this better than Nick Miller, who is known to distrust banks and keep all of his money in a box in his closet.

11. "You treat an outside wound with rubbing alcohol, you treat an inside wound with drinking alcohol. Science." -Nick Miller

As a bartender, functioning alcoholic, and human being, Nick Miller gets it. Sometimes you just need a beer to make you feel a little better about life, and that's okay (to an extent.)