11 Long Distant Relationship Tips

11 Long Distant Relationship Tips

Communication is key.

25
11 Long Distant Relationship Tips
Pinterest.com

Being apart from someone you want to be around all the time is difficult. Many college students start dating in late high school and continue with a long distant relationship throughout college. Whether you met and had to move away, or met while already apart, long distance relationships are tough. Personally being in a long distant relationship has taught me a few tips a tricks with my significant other (SO).

1. FaceTime Dates.

With super convenient technology these days, it’s easy to connect to anyone, wherever they are. FaceTime is a great tool for Apple users, or Skype or Google Hangout to see your SO, even if it’s just through a computer screen. Eating a meal together, or just sitting and talking can become a very sweet date. And the best part is planning your dates and setting a specific time, so there is something to look forward to throughout the day.

2. Care Packages.

Sending a gift in the mail to your SO is a sweet gesture to let them know that you are thinking about them, and care about them. I recommend getting a box and filling it with items you know that person will enjoy. Or an item of yours to give to him/her, like a sweater or a t-shirt. If your SO is the one away from home, an item that reminds them of home could be pleasant to receive. Besides, who doesn’t like mail?

3. Visit at Least Once a Month.

If possible, try to not let more than a month pass in seeing your SO. Planning trips in advanced can be fun and exciting knowing that you’ll be seeing that person very soon.

4. Keep a Countdown of the Days Left Until You See Your SO.

To help pass the time, keeping a countdown will remind you of how much days left until you are both reunited. Whether that’s creating a physical paper chain, or a reminder on your phone with a countdown app, it’s a fun way to remind yourself everyday of the upcoming events.

5. Call, Call, Call

Calling each other is important to keep the communication constant. Having a time in the day to call each other is usually best. I usually call my SO in the evening/night when my day is close to done, and talk about each other’s day. Talking about small, simple things, like what we ate for lunch is nice to keep the relationship feel like it’s not 286 miles apart. Hearing that person’s voice is something to always look forward to.

6. Goodnight Calls

When saying goodnight to each other, calling to hear each other’s voice will make the relationship feel more personable. Never let a day go by without hearing each other’s voice, even if it’s for only a few seconds.

7. Snapchat Pictures.

Seeing pictures of your SO is nice and appreciated. Since most of the relationship is spent apart, it’s nice to receive pictures of their face, even if it’s for a few seconds.

8. Watch Netflix Together.

Everyone enjoys watching television and movies. It’s fun to watch favorite shows or movie with your SO, or getting your SO into your favorite t.v. show is also a plus. Using FaceTime, you two can watch and sync Netflix and watch together. It doesn’t beat watching shows in person, but it’s the second best.

9. Snail Mail

Everyone loves getting personal mail! Send your SO a handwritten letter and let them know how you are doing and how much you are thinking about them. Knowing that it’s personally from you, they will appreciate it so much.

10. Send Good morning and Goodnight texts.

Knowing that he/she is the first person you think of when you wake up and go to bed, makes the long distant relationship stronger. It’s a simple gesture that goes a long way.

11. Talk About Your SO to Your Friends.

Talking about your SO to your friends and peers makes that person feel relevant in your everyday routine. And your friends will probably be interested in your happiness and would like to get to know your SO as well.