11 Lessons You Learn In The Service Industry

The service/food industry has taught me more than I could have imagined.

318

For almost a year, I worked at a dine-in and drive-thru snow cone/smoothie restaurant. More recently, I am spending the summer working my first job as a waitress at a Mediterranean/American restaurant. In just one year, I have learned so much just through the experience in these two jobs. Here are 11 lessons I learned while working in the service/food industry.

1. People are very VERY picky about their food.

You wouldn't believe how seriously a person takes the amount of creme on their snow cone. Or how half a slice of cheese makes such a big difference instead of a whole piece. Some customers will have the biggest fit their food/drink is not served to meet their every single little expectation.

2. You become more mindful when you go to a restaurant/drive-thru.

I know what that cashier is going through when they ask for a minute at the drive-thru; they're probably trying to catch their breath and not fall behind. If food takes a long time, you don't become testy like other customers, because you know they're doing their best back there. When your server makes a mistake, you're not furious and asking for the manager, because you remember that, surprise surprise, they're a human being just like you.

3. You become more aware of tipping.

You understand that most server are paid under minimum wage, and that tips are pretty much what helps them make real money. You recognize the importance of tipping based on service and percentage.

4. Polite service goes a very long way.

You could pretty much do anything: mess up the order or spill on them, but as long as you smile and practice the manners you're mamma taught you, any customer is understanding and gracious.

5. You have perfected fake happiness.

No matter how horrible your day is going, your customers could never tell because of how well you have perfected that fake smile and go-lucky attitude. You gotta go what you gotta do to rack in them tips.

6. Closing is also a synonym for death.

You will pretty much do anything to not close. When your manager is looking for closers for the night, you run as far away as you possibly can. When those inevitable nights do occur, you do anything and everything possible to pre-close hours before you even close.

7. You avoid your restaurant whenever you're not working.

Whether you've quit or your off for that day, the only reason you show up is for your biweekly check.

8. Employee discounts are the bomb.

The only reason you would go to your restaurant is for those beautiful 30-50% off your meal. While you're working you take advantage of those discounts and freebies. At times, it becomes so much, that the majority of your meals are work food; because, I mean, who wants to pay full price for food?

9. You become the most patient person in the world.

Whether it's an annoying coworker or customer, you remember that lashing out will only get you in trouble. You keep that practiced fake smile on while a customer goes crazy because there just isn't enough seasoning on their fries

10. You accept that you can only do your best.

No matter what, people are going to find a reason to be unhappy with everything. You understand that you will get tipped poorly sometimes. You are only human, and even if customers can't remember that, there's no point of stressing too much. While 2 customers may hate your service, the tips of the 30 others will make up for that. If you're doing your best, you can be happy with that.

11. At the end of the day, it's rewarding.

Money aside, the service industry allow you to meet some pretty interesting people. Whether it's your customers or coworkers, you are exposed to an array of diversity. This in turn teaches you much more about the world around you and makes you just that much wiser.