11 Things I Learned Moving From Weatherly To Baltimore

150 Miles Makes A Difference.

22
Google Maps

Weatherly is a small town of about 2,500 people, tucked away in northeastern Pennsylvania. Baltimore is a city of about 622,000 people in Maryland. I moved from Weatherly to Baltimore after high school to attend college. Here are eleven things I learned from my move:

1. "Rush Hour"

"Rush Hour" is a board game I played as a kid back in Weatherly. In Baltimore, rush hour is between the hours of 6:30 a.m. and 8:00 a.m or 4:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. where everyone and their mothers are on the road.

2. Crabs and Beer

In Baltimore, crabs and beer are a common entrée. Meanwhile, it is hard to find Weatherly favorites such as Mrs. T's Pierogis and Farmer's Iced Tea in Baltimore.

3. The Cost of Private Schools

Private schools are extremely expensive in Baltimore. Even elementary schools can cost up to $10,000 a year. I attended a private school in Weatherly, but it did not cost as much as that.

4. Melting Pot

Diversity is plentiful in Baltimore. I went to a high school that was 99 percent Caucasian back in Weatherly. Talk about boring! Meanwhile, the university I attend in Baltimore, Notre Dame of Maryland University, has a student body where 50 percent are people of color.

5. Big City Community

In Baltimore, not everyone knows everyone. I can’t go to TJ’s One Stop Gas Station like I can in Weatherly and see my friends, neighbors and people that go to my church.

6. More Opportunities

There are way more opportunities in Baltimore compared to Weatherly. It’s a college town with businesses and hospitals at very corner.

7. The Importance of Ravens and Orioles

You must root for the Ravens and Orioles if you live in Baltimore! There are no questions asked. The teams are not split like in Weatherly with the Eagles and Steelers.

8. Lacrosse

Lacrosse is a popular sport in Baltimore. Coming from Weatherly, I never heard of it.

9. Sailing and Fishing

Sailing and fishing are extremely common activities in Baltimore, especially since there are more bodies of water. Here's a picture of my friend Kevin, doing one of his favorite hobbies.

10. Hunting Season

Not everyone is off the first Monday after Thanksgiving to kick off deer season like they are in Weatherly.

11. Cabela's

You cannot find a Cabela's, an outdoor store, or a Knoebles, an amusement park, in Baltimore like you can back in Weatherly.

Even though Baltimore and Weatherly are completely different places, I still consider both my home.