11 Things You Learn During Freshman Year

You may not have learned anything in your classes, but you did learn some life lessons

153
Ziptopia

When we came into college, we were completely lost. We didn’t know anyone, and we definitely didn’t know our way around. Moving into a small room and having to share it with someone else was a terrible thought to you, but you adapted to it. Now, with the end of the year sneaking up on us and finals ready to either make or break our grades, it’s time to reflect on what we’ve learned. We aren’t wide-eyed freshmen anymore. We know our way around, and we have created our own group of friends. We’ve adapted to the college way of life, but we’ve also learned a lot along the way.

1. You have a lot more stuff when you leave than when you came to college.

While you're packing to leave your freshman dorm, you wonder how the three suitcases you brought with you in August just aren't holding everything you need them to hold. You start to wonder when you acquired so many more belongings.

2. You procrastinated way too much.

Yeah, it worked out for you throughout the semester but now you have three billion pages to read, a couple hundred essays and not a single clue how you're going to finish all of it in a week. Yay.

3. All those skipped classes weren’t really worth the extra sleep.

I'm sorry. What chapter are we on? What book do we use? What class even is this? These are just a few of the questions you'll find yourself asking when all you've done is go to class to take the tests and skipped the rest of the time. College students need their sleep sometimes.

4. You’re more excited than you thought you’d be to finally go home.

When your parents dropped you off in August, you thought you'd never want to see them again. Well, it has been about eight months and the random weekend and holiday visits just aren't cutting it anymore.You miss your family, not to mention your own room.

5. Changing your major could be one of the greatest decisions you could make.

Realizing that what you thought you wanted to do is actually the complete opposite of what you enjoy doing is a hard thing to grasp, but once you find out what you really want to do, college becomes less of a struggle and more of something you enjoy.

6. Professors procrastinate, too.

Oh, yes, your professors didn't give you everything they needed to in order to cover everything on the final, so be prepared for five essays, three tests, and two presentations the week before finals. Oh, and your final is cumulative. May the odds be ever in your favor.

7. You've made some lifelong friends -- and lost some friends, too.

You've met the people who will be your adult friends. The ones you go on double dates with even after you're both married. High school friends are great and some last, but most of the time people grow apart and sometimes the distance is too great to cross.

8. You’ve had a lot of fun, and made a lot of great memories.

Your memories from your freshman year of college are some that you'll carry with you. You laughed, you cried, you learned, and you made a lot of friends. They aren't memories you're very likely to forget.

9. It is possible to function on little to no sleep.

Psh. Who needs sleep, anyway? You can go to bed at 5 a.m. and get up for your 8 a.m. just fine. Actually no you can't but you're going to do it anyway and rely on sugar and caffeine to get you through the day.

10. You aren’t going to miss the community bathrooms.

It may seem like a strange thing, but not having to share a bathroom with 25 other people every day is heaven.

11. You actually really love your school.

Whether you decide to stay or transfer somewhere else, the school that you go to your freshman year of college is always going to hold a special place in your heart. It's where you got your first taste of freedom and adulthood. It's where you made some of your best friends and it's where some of your best memories were created. It's your school and you feel a weird sense of family with every other student there.