11 Easy Crockpot Meals For College Students

Cheap and delicious meals to make yourself.

3988
Oprah

At college, the repetition of meals and foods in the cafeteria can get boring after a while. However, going out to eat off campus can start to add up and can be a big waste of money. A great kitchen tool for college kids is a crockpot. There are many easy and cheap meals you can just toss in a crockpot while you're in class and come back to multiple servings of a home-cooked meal. If you have a freezer, it's even better because you can package and freeze the extra food to have when the dining hall options just aren't looking too good. Here are some of my favorite cheap and easy crockpot meals:

1. Basic Chili

For this meal, just toss in the ingredients on low for six to eight hours and you'll have yourself a delicious meal.

Crock Pot Chili
1 large can tomato sauce
1 pound lean ground beef
2 cans beans (kidney beans are fine, but you can use whatever you like)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/4 cup diced onion (or onion salt)

2. Buffalo Chicken Dip

Who doesn't love buffalo chicken dip?

Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip

2 (10 ounce) cans chicken
2 (8 ounce) packets cream cheese
3⁄4cup hot sauce (I use Frank's)
1 cup ranch dressing
2 cups mild cheddar cheese

3. Tomato Soup

Grab a grilled cheese from the caf and come home to your own delicious tomato soup.

Crockpot Tomato Soup

Onion
Canned diced tomatoes
Leeks
Low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
Heavy cream

4. Shepherd's Pie

This is a very cheap, very simple meal to make for yourself.

Crockpot Shepherd's Pie

Yukon Gold potatoes
Milk
Onion
Lean ground beef
Tomato paste
Frozen mixed vegetables

5. Baked Ziti

One of the simplest meals to make, this is perfect to share with friends or roommates.

Crockpot Ziti

Part-skim ricotta
Mozzarella
Parmesan
Ziti
Marinara sauce

6. Stuffed Peppers

Something you definitely won't find in the cafeteria!

Crockpot Stuffed Peppers

6 large bell peppers
1/2 pound lean ground beef (cooked or uncooked – leftover works great)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 – 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup rice, cooked (any kind of rice will work)
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
shredded cheese, divided
1/4 cup water

7. Baked Potatoes

If you love baked potatoes, this is perfect for you. All you need is potatoes and whatever toppings you like! Cheese, sour cream, bacon, veggies — anything goes. Just toss the potatoes in the crockpot all day and top them when you're ready to enjoy.

8. Mac and Cheese

This comfort food is easy and cheap to make in a crockpot.

Crockpot Mac and Cheese

3/4 lb (12 oz) elbow macaroni
4 cups shredded cheese
1 can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 T worchestershire sauce

9. Sloppy Joes

It's always more comforting when you make your own sloppy joes, so you know just what the "sloppy" part is all about.

Crockpot Sloppy Joes

2 lbs ground beef
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup flour
1 T chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

10. Potato Corn Chowder

Yum!

Crockpot Corn Chowder

1 (16 oz) package corn, frozen
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano, dried
24 oz red potato
1 tsp thyme, dried

11. Apple Crisp

A nice dessert to make after dinner!

Crockpot Apple Crisp