11 Things To Distract Yourself From Binge Eating

If you have ever tried to lose weight, you know that it is no easy task, and binge eating is all too typical. Many of us have bad eating habits and get food cravings multiple times a day (I know I do). I have been overweight my whole life. I know all too well that food cravings are just a mental issue; it is almost never your body telling you that you are actually hungry. So, here are some things that I have found very helpful in my weight loss journey to do when you are having food cravings and want to binge eat.

1. Chew gum.

Make sure its sugar free. And make sure it’s one that you genuinely enjoy. Chewing gum gives you a taste that your body may be craving for very little calories.

2. Drink water.

Food cravings could also be your body’s way of just telling you that you are dehydrated. Try to drink at least three glasses of water a day.

3. Watch a movie.

Finding a movie that you enjoy will help pass a few hours, and by the time it’s over, it will most likely be time to eat again.

4. Go swimming.

This is not only great for getting your mind off food, but also can be a great way to get in some extra workouts -- try doing water aerobics: swim laps, run laps, do squats, do lunges, etc. It’s all about getting moving!

5. Go for a walk.

This can be a good way to not only distract yourself from eating, and also be a relaxing tool

6. Paint your nails.

With wet fingernails, you won’t be able to stick your hand into a bag of chips without ruining them.

7. Clean your room.

Be productive! Nothing feels better than a clean room, anyway.

8. Read.

I have never been a crazy reading fanatic, but I’ve found that diving into a good book has really helped me stay away from the kitchen.

9. Write.

Write how you’re feeling in a journal. It may sound cliché, but it is a great idea to get out what you’re feeling. This journey is never easy, and bottling up emotions won’t make it any easier.

10. Confide in your "person.”

This is another good way to let out your emotions. Find that one person that you feel as if will have no judgments on anything you have to say in regards to your journey. Tell this person that you are having food cravings and let them be a good distracting tool for you.

11. Literally do anything besides binge eat.

It is all about being motivated and having the strength to know that you can do anything you set your mind to.