11 Books Every College Student Should Read

These are the essentials to get you through your four years at a university.

425
uglydogbooks.com

In college, it's so easy to get in the habit of binge-watching netflix and completely forget about how much fun reading can be. If you're anything like me, you always intend to read, but fail to actually sit down and choose a book. Let this list guide and inspire you to choose a book that all college students should read by the time they graduate.

1. Unbowed by Wangari Maathai

Written by Nobel Prize winner Wangari Maathai, this book is an amazing read. In this memoir, Maathai recounts her life in Kenya, and how a girl who grew up with virtually nothing became a world-famous innovator and leader. Read if: You enjoy books with environmental themes, tales of girl power, or wish to learn about other cultures.

2. Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer

One of my all-time favorite books, Krakauer turns a non-fiction into an incredible adventure. Telling the story of Chris McCandless, Krakauer takes the reader on a journey through Alaska, as well as through life post-grad. Read if: You have incurable wanderlust, an interest in hiking and survival, or need to escape the mundane 'adult world' for a few moments.

3. I Am Malala by Christina Lamb and Malala Yousafzai

An incredible story of courage, perseverance, and real change. Malala Yousafzai was shot in the face by The Taliban, but continued to fight for education and empowerment. Read if: You are interested in the Middle East, educational issues, or strong women.

4. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Jodi Picoult is an incredible author with a knack for telling stories from all perspectives. This book in particular deals with a hot topic: School shootings. Read if: You need a good cry, a book that will challenge all of your thoughts and ideas, or to gain a new perspective.

5. Humans of New York: Stories by Brandon Stanton

We've all seen Humans of New York on Facebook. The famous photographer who causes us to laugh, cry, rejoice, and grieve with virtual strangers has now come out with a book highlighting some of the most interesting stories he has come across. Read if: You need to regain faith in humanity, you feel disconnected from everyone around you, or you feel alone.

6. Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom

A memoir by Mitch Albom, the author reminds us to cherish the people important to our success. He reconnects with his favorite college professor when he discovers the professor is dying. Read if: You have taken someone for granted, you need a heartwarming story, or you could use some life advice.

7. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

This story is about a missionary family that moves from Georgia, USA, to the Belgian Congo. It is suspenseful, heartbreaking, and beautifully written. Read if: You enjoy historical dramas, books told from multiple points of view, or want to challenge your own faith and beliefs.

8. The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter and How To Make The Most Of Them Now by Meg Jay

Although the title is a mouthful, this book is definitely worth the read. Would it really be a list for college students if it didn't acknowledge how terrifying your twenties can be? This is a self-help book that give us tools to use our twenties wisely. Read if: You're worried about life after graduation, life in college, or life in general. This one is for all of you experiencing the quarter-life crisis.

9. The Awakening by Kate Chopin

Although definitely an older book, don't rule out The Awakening. Set in New Orleans, this book uses interesting characters to discuss feminism and social norms (yes, all the way back in 1899!) Read if: You tend to like 'the classics', themes of feminism, and quick reads.

10. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Set in Pre-Colonial Nigeria, this book discusses the trials and clashes of colonialism and traditional ways. Although most of us cannot relate to the struggles of Nigerians being colonized, we can take lessons from this book on family, culture, and compromise and apply it to our own lives. Read if: You are feeling out of control, you are interested in historical fiction, or you would like to learn more about a different culture.

11. This Side Of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This novel follows a character as he graduates from Princeton and enters the real world. He has always lived a privileged life, and is shocked when the real world isn't quite like he imagined. This is unfortunately something most of us will experience in a few short years. Read if: You enjoyed The Great Gatsby, you are apprehensive about entering the real world, or you want to examine your own privilege.