11 Of The Best Events In Southwestern PA This Summer

From festivals and 5Ks to museum nights and more—a guide to your summer in Southwestern PA.

13
mdmpix.com

Whether you call southwestern Pennsylvania home, are visiting from out of town or are just looking for someplace low-key to take a day trip, southwest Pennsylvania has something to do for everyone this summer. Check out 11 of the best events happening here this summer!

1. The Three Rivers Arts Festival (June 3-12)

Located in Downtown Pittsburgh, the festival celebrates independent artists, musicians and the local businesses that support them. The festival showcases the creativity, innovation and technology that the city of Pittsburgh incubates each year. This year's exhibitions include a visual art exhibit, an art/science interactive installation, hands-on history at the Fort Pitt Museum, public painting, vendors selling handmade art and performances by Michael Franti & Spearhead and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.

2. Ohiopyle Wine Arts and Music Festival (May 21)

This second annual festival, located in the heart of Pennsylvania's largest State Park along the shore of the Youghiogeny River, showcases many of the area's local artists, musicians and merchants while fundraising for the community of Ohiopyle. The festival is a day full of music, art, crafts and wine, and features performances by Gas House Annie and wine tastings from the Christian Clay Winery and B&L Wine Cellars just to name a few.

3. Venture Outdoors Festival (May 21)

This event is held at Point State Park from 11 a.m until 6 p.m. The day is filled with vendors, food, performances and activities for all ages. The festival is celebrating its 15th anniversary this year and features kayaking, rock climbing, yoga, dragon boating, fishing and biking. Performances by the Pittsburgh Songwriters Circle and Pittch Please, University of Pitt's a cappella group. Local vendors will be selling crafts, jewelry and ceramics all day long!

4. The Roller Coaster Race (June 5)

Kennywood's open! The Roller Coaster Race is a 10K race and a 5K run or walk through Kennywood Park. The race will feature coasters and an after-party with a DJ, refreshments and an awards ceremony for the winning runners. If you're not into running and more into riding, ride your way through the race for a chance to win a medal for riding a total distance of 5K on any and all of the park's coasters!

5. National Pike Day (May 20-22)

Saddle up! The wagon train will make its way through Route 40 in Uniontown on May 21 after making its way through the Allegheny Mountain and the Blue Ridge Mountains. Enjoy a day of celebration and authentic wagon trains, the foundation of the transportation system we know today. Counties celebrate the passing of the wagon train with vendors, food and activities the day of the wagon train's passing through.

6. Indiana Jones After Dark (June 10)

Look no further than the Carnegie Museum of Natural History for a night of cocktails and discovery. Guests will enjoy hands-on exhibits, special topics, and fun-themed entertainment, live music and drinks. The event will feature a professional whip artist, a scavenger hunt and even a screening of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." Enjoy the sounds of the Pittsburgh Philharmonic and get close to some creepy crawlers from the Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium. Tickets are on sale now!

7. Jam on Walnut (June 25)

Join the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation for their three day outdoor concert series. The foundation shuts down Shadyside's Walnut Street for music, food, drinks and lots of fun for all in attendance. Happy hour runs from 7-8:30 p.m. and the bands go on at 7p.m.! This year will feature Dancing Queen, Chris Higbee and Radio Tokyo.

8. Fayette County Fair (July 28-August 6)

Check out the Fayette County Fair. With nearly 100,000 visitors each year, this fair ranks one of the largest in the state. Enjoy the carnival, daily shows, pageants, livestock, "Fayette Idol," among other events the fair hosts. This year the fair will feature concerts by LOCASH and Collin Raye. If you're into cotton candy, petting zoos, fried food and country music, this is the place to be.

9. Kickoff and Rib Festival (September 3-7)

Participate in a Pittsburgh Labor Day tradition at the Kickoff and Rib Festival. There's something to do for just about anyone here, with food, music and vendors at every corner. Past musical performances have included The Clarks and Thomas Rhett! Close out the summer with a nice rack of ribs, some shades and live music to top it off.

10. Seven Springs Totally '80s Rib & Wing Festival (July 15-17)

Enjoy another rack of ribs at Seven Springs Mountain Resort in July! Enjoy live music, beautiful scenery and a delicious meal on Sunday afternoon, then close out the day with some rockin' '80s tunes. The event features kids' activities and a beer garden as well. Flashback Friday, anyone?

11. The Color Run 5K (July 15)

Hit up the North Shore in Pittsburgh at 8 a.m at the starting line and participate in the 5K festival and run. There will be music, dancing, running, photos and so much more! The Color Run will be island-themed this year, so bring your grass skirts and coconut bras, and sign up for the most vibrant event in the city. Tickets are on sale now!