11 Back To School Hacks Every Student Should Know

Start the year off great!

82
Philmont Library

Going back to school can be very difficult and even the thought of it makes you dread the upcoming year. These simple and easy hacks will make back to school so much more enjoyable and convenient.

1. Avoid being late to school.

Have you ever gotten up late and had to rush to make it into school on time? Nothing is worse than having to randomly choose your outfit and miss out on a good breakfast because you woke up to late. Set your alarm clock or the clock you look at the most before going to school ten minutes ahead. This will give you plenty of time to wake up and get ready for school, while knowing that there is still enough time to get ready. Another helpful tip to helping you get up in the morning, is to place your alarm clock a good distance away from your bed. This is so that when the alarm goes off, you have to get up and turn it off, waking you up in the process.

2. Have incentives for studying.

Studying for an exam can be very exhausting and it seems as if more distractions pop up the longer you study. If you are reading or studying from a textbook, a quick and fun tip is to buy a bag of your favorite candy or chips. Next, place one of the candies or chips at the beginning of each paragraph. This will give you more of an incentive to keep reading and studying.

3. Write notes in blue ink.

Every student is bound to do some type of note taking. If you are taking notes for a test that you will be studying for, write it in blue ink. We tend to memorize more when something is written in blue ink rather than black ink. This will give you all the more advantage towards obtaining that A.

4. Avoid smelly sneakers.

This hack is super affordable and will keep your gym locker smelling fresh. Grab two teabags of your choice and place one into each sneaker. This will help absorb all the gross smelling odor in your shoes. Nothing is worse than stinking up the whole gym locker room.

5. Keep edible concentration boosters handy.

Listening to a lecture or studying for an exam can get very boring and can seem as if all your concentration is focused somewhere else. Grab some chocolate, preferably dark chocolate if you are looking for a healthier alternative and put them in your bag. Eating chocolate while studying or listening to a lecture helps the brain retain new information easily. Eating mints can also reduce headaches and increase concentration. Why not eat something tasty, that also helps with concentration?

6. Chew gum to help memorization for a test.

In addition to edible concentration boosters, gum can help you remember more easily during a test, what you studied the night before. Ever get stuck or completely blank on a problem? Chew a unusual or a different flavor of gum than you normally chew when studying. Then chew that same flavor during your test. This will help jog your memory in the same way that scents remind you of things from the past.

7. Prepare a quick on the go breakfast.

If you are in a hurry and do not have time to make a hearty breakfast, try this quick and easy recipe. Crack one egg into a microwave safe bowl. Then, mix it until the yoke and egg white are thoroughly combined. Then sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper into mixture if needed. Lastly, place this mixture into the microwave for approximately one minute. Now you have a nutritious meal that can travel with you on the go.

8. Color code your notebooks.

We, typically, buy the same brand of notebooks and even though we buy different colors of them, we cant tell the difference between them in our backpack. A quick and useful tip is to grab different colored markers and shade in a small section of the top of the notebook. Using different colors will help distinguish your notebooks from each other

9. Know to open a closed tab.

If you accidentally delete an important tab, these following steps will teach how to immediately get it back. All you need to do is press the buttons command or control, shift and the letter T. Nothing is worse than deleting a important document tab on a slow computer, and having to wait forever to get back to the same page.

10. Have your schedule handy.

The first day of school can be extremely hectic and the last thing you need is to lose your schedule. This hack can also help you easily compare schedules with your friends. Take a picture or save your schedule to your photo album. Next, make the photo of your schedule your lock screen wallpaper. This way, you can easily bring up your schedule without ripping it apart if it were on paper.

11. Keep writing utensils handy.

This is an extremely affordable hack that can change your school routine drastically. Do you always lose your pens and pencils? Take an emptied water bottle and stick your pens and pencils into it. Wider lids and bottles are more convenient, but either way this tip can keep all your writing utensils in check.