What To Wear For A Good First Impression

My Parents Weren't Kidding — First Impressions Are Important

It really sets up how other people think of you.

38

I've been having the most intense few weeks of my life. Interviews at school, talking to professors with potential benefits and meeting my boyfriend's parents of the first time; it's been hectic. I would like to take this moment to thank my family for being Gs. I have to hand it to my grandparents and parents for really instilling me with manners.

I never really cared what people thought of me, probably because I was young and my actions didn't really have many consequences. Nowadays, I can't even leave my house without doing my eyebrows... it's a tough life.

My first interview at UCLA for a work-study job was for a position that involved building a website and editing manuscripts; I am an anthropology student, I don't even know how to use a TV remote let alone using my laptop correctly. For whatever reason, I was hired and have been with them ever since.

I remember attending my first work meeting with my fellow coworkers. This job allows me to work remotely so we only get to see each other once a week. I wore business casual clothes because I think we should all dress in the position we want in life but also "dress to impress." However, when I got there, I see my co-workers in flip flops, leggings, and clothes you just don't wear in a professional atmosphere.

I'm convinced that the reason why I got this job in the first place was that of my work ethic, yes but also because of how I dressed. I don't wear uncomfortable high heels to work, I dress in slacks and a nice dress shirt.

This doesn't only apply to a work setting but to everything else, you do in your life. Whether you're going on a date, meeting parents or even just having coffee with a friend how you present yourself matters. It reflects your identity (and your hygiene).

When I hear sayings like "I want them to like me for who I really am, I don't want to dress to impress." OK yeah, I get it but I for sure did not let my bf see me without my eyebrows until the third month of us dating. Thank God for Anastasia's brow pencil, water resistance/ rub resistance is key. He likes me for me, I know that but when we first meet someone, anyone, that is what they'll always remember.

Til this day I don't like someone because they have rubbed me the wrong way. I tried talking to them, other people had told me good things about them but man, I can't get over how we met. So sorry that I'm petty but things like that do matter.
I acknowledge I may sometimes be over the top about these things but overdressing is ALWAYS better than undressing. So next time you want to be casual, which I totally get just think about WHO you're seeing and WHERE. Looking your best is not a crime.