108 Thoughts Every Freshman Has Before College

97. I don't like these "one last time's"...

29
Living the Gray Life

It's that time of year again...and for many of us, this back-to-school season is particularly terrifying. I've waited months for move-in day to come, and it is crazy that it's actually here. So many emotions run through me on a daily basis now, ranging from excitement to dread to nostalgia.

Here's to us, the class of 2017 (well, 2021, now)....and to all my stressed out friends - I hope you relate to to this thought process below as we pack our bags and head across the states.

4 months to go...

1. Okay, May 1st is in like a week... I probably should figure out which college I'm going to go to.

2. But what if I make the wrong choice?

3. I'll make a pros and cons list and maybe that will help.

4. Well damn, everything is tied up.

5. I'm going to obsessively go on each college website during class and research every single thing about each one.

6. Oh boy, these dorms are trash.

7. But these ones are amazing!! And look at the food plans...

8. Do I care if I'm far from home? I like freedom but I'll miss my family. It really could go either way. Plus I would have to fly and I'm terrified of planes.

9. This is definitely out because they don't have my major.

10. My best friend is going here, so maybe I should to...

11. ...but college is about new experiences so maybe not.

12. What was I thinking when I applied to 12 schools? I KNOW I'm indecisive!! I did this to myself?

13. Let's go on college niche and college confidential and creepily look up every information tidbit I could ever need to decide.

14. Why does everyone else seem to have such a concrete plan and I'm struggling to pick a damn school!!!

15. Okay, breathe.

16. Clearly, Villanova is the best choice for me. #NOVANATION baby!

17. Time to send in my deposit -- and oh jeez it's expensive. We're in the big leagues now...

2 months to go...

18. I feel like I should say something on the college GroupMe.

19. But what do I even say? I need to make a good impression.

20. Maybe I'll jump in on this conversation about majors...

21. Oh God I just sent a message, no going back now.

22. No one's liking it...WHY AM I LIKE THIS.

23. Oh wait, here we go, Meredith answered me! It's not a total lost cause.

24. I feel like I'm really overthinking this GroupMe thing.

25. Jesus Christ, 200 notifications? 4 separate GroupMes? For one college? I can't keep track of this.

26. I'm just going to mute them all and catch up when I can.

27. Okay, time to dorm shop online. You can never dorm shop too much.

28. Why is PBteen so freaking expensive? I just want a cute comforter, is that too much to ask?

29. Dormify, Society6...are y'all trying to take all my money?

30. I'm so extra for buying this dorm wall decor, but who cares.

31. Should I wait until my roommate assignment comes out so we can coordinate?

32. Ugh, but that's so much work.

33. White bedspreads could get really dirty really easily, but they match everything and are so cute.

34. And what about a headboard?

35. And a trash can?

36. And a desk lamp?

37. I better make a list before I forget everything I'm gonna need.

1 month to go...

38. It's already the last week in July?

39. How on earth did time fly by so quickly? I need to get stuff done ASAP.

40. Oh my gosh, roommate assignments came out!

41. Please get a double, please get a double, please get a double...

42. ....yesyesyesyes I got a double in Stanford! Thank goodness I put in my deposit early.

43. Time to find my roommate on social media and stalk her.

44. Eek found her! I should DM her.

45. What do I even say? I don't want to sound creepy.

46. I really hope we get along.

47. I wonder what her color scheme is for her room? Does she even have a color scheme?

48. I hope we're the same size so we can share clothes too!

2 weeks to go...

49. Thank God my summer job is over. Time to get going on college stuff.

50. I probably should start reading the summer reading book...if I can find it.

51. I don't want to be that girl who doesn't do the first assignment of college.

52. It's only 180 pages or so anyway.

53. Okay, time to go the Bed Bath and Beyond.

54. I could browse in here forever! They have so many cute things.

55. Ugh, I don't understand why my mom thinks this body pillow is unnecessary. And this golden stapler. These are essentials!!

56. We might need another cart.

57. The Container Store is literally like a black hole -- I get sucked in.

58. Mom, no, please, just a little longer. I like to look around!

59. Who knew there were so many options for makeup holders? And hangers?

60. How many hangers do I actually need?

61. This poor woman checking us out at the cash register...

62. But I love seeing all the other college kids picking stuff up for school, too!

63. Thanks Momma for helping me make my dorm as Pinterest-y as possible.

1 week to go...

64. HOLY CRAP IT'S REALLY HAPPENING!!!

65. I'm not ready. I'm only 18. I'm still a kid!! Who let me go to college? Am I even responsible enough for this?

66. I have so many things to do and just not enough time...

67. The worst part is definitely going to be the goodbyes.

68. I can't believe this is my last dinner with my best friends in the whole world. What will I do without them?

69. Is it weird if I start crying into my food? I'm just so sad to leave them...

70. Oh good, everyone else is crying too.

71. Good thing I brought some tissues.

72. I want to hug these people forever.

73. Please don't leave me.

74. Watching y'all drive away is heartbreaking...see you at Thanksgiving.

75. I can barely keep it together saying bye to my friends, how am I going to handle saying bye to my family?!!

24 hours to go...

76. My last day in Charlotte is going to be surreal.

77. I still have so much stuff to pack...and I feel like most of it won't fit in the car!

78. How many pairs of shoes do I really need?

79. Am I supposed to bring my winter clothes? Or should I get them over fall break?

80. I don't want to leave my dog.

81. Okay seriously -- HOW is this stuff going to fit in the car?

82. Good thing my older brother is strong and can help me shove everything in.

83. Oh sure, yeah, I only need two square feet to sit in for eight hours. No problem.

84. I better make a playlist of happy music to listen to on the way up so I don't start crying while sadly looking out the window.

85. Is it normal to be this sad about leaving home for college? I can't tell.

86. But at the same time I'm also super excited.

87. I feel so conflicted.

88. My last home cooked meal for a while, courtesy of my mom and dad, is everything I imagined.

89. My family knows me so well! Lemon bars are my favorite dessert and of course there's a platter in the fridge.

90. How will I survive without my little siblings?

91. Oh great, here come the tears...

92. Binge watching Gilmore Girls with my mom one last time with my nine year old sister sitting on my lap and my younger brother pretending to be uninterested never felt so good.

93. I won't be gone that long... right?

94. And Villanova is going to be amazing!!!

95. I'll never get to sleep -- I'm way too nervous.

96. I guess I can sleep in the car. Time to watch Netflix in my bed one last time.

97. I don't like these "one last time's"....

8 hours to go...

98. Let the car ride begin! It's 8 AM and the earliest I've been up this summer.

99. Time for goodbyes to my little siblings.

101. Don't forget about me while I'm gone!!!!

102. Is there time to go back and bring them with us?

103. I guess not. It's just me and Mom and my older brother, now.

104. Off we go! On the road!

105. Goodbye, house.

106. Goodbye, neighborhood.

107. Goodbye, Charlotte.

108. Thanks for being so good to me.

That's about as far as I can take you, because I haven't moved in yet. I'm terrified, but I know Villanova is the best place for me. Everyone is so kind and welcoming, and I can't wait to eat at Cafe Nova and study by the Oreo.

Cheers, class of 2017! We made it!