As I trudge along finals week along most students this time of year, I’ve found it extremely challenging to squeeze in time to just sit, reflect, and recognize even the smallest things that make life more manageable. Please do yourself a favor and create that time, and use it to sit, reflect, and recognize the beautiful things. Build up your list and you’ll catch yourself smiling. Here are 100 things that help me on my crummy days, and make my good days that much sunnier.
You can and you will overcome all obstacles and hindrances.
1. Clean, fresh-out-of-the-dryer bed sheets.
2. Swirls of cream in a cup of coffee.
4. The humid air on a Summer morning.
5. The scent of rain.
6. Getting your hair shampoo'd at the salon.
8. The sound of a keyboard being clicked quickly.
9. Hand cut french fries.
10. The audacity of a mower snipping at the grass, with the aroma of fresh cut grass trailing behind.
11. A clean yoga mat.
12. Back and knuckle cracking.
13. Peanut butter.
14. Calendars and day-planners.
15. Jumping in puddles with your favorite rain boots on.
16. Driving through puddles after it rains.
17. I really like puddles.
18. Arrived packages.
19. Michael Buble.
20. Abs that cramp up from laughing too hard.
21. Cleaning on a Saturday morning.
22. The heat from an open oven while baking cookies on a bone chilling Winter day.
23. The frosty breeze from the open freezer when grabbing a blue popsicle on a sticky Summer day.
24. New shoes.
25. The pills that coat a basketball.
27. Bright lipstick.
28. Dark lipstick.
29. Being kissed on the forehead.
30. Flawlessly trimmed eyebrows.
31. Foot massages.
32. Writing and reading poetry.
33. Walking the dog.
34. Online coupon codes.
35. Planning your wedding and dream house on Pinterest.
36. Being told, "I'm so proud of you!"
37. Fuzzy socks that keep your toes nice and toasty.
38. Depositing money into your bank account.
39. Getting the job.
41. A freshly painted room.
43. Getting stranger babies to crack a smile.
44. Grocery shopping.
45. Espresso bars.
46. The smell of muffins baking.
47. Getting your back scratched.
48. Hot showers to wash the day away.
49. Cold showers to wash the workout away.
50. Pay day.
51. The feel of a crinkly bill in your pocket that you forgot was there.
52. Waking up in the middle of the night only to see that you have hours left to sleep.
53. Your boyfriend's cologne.
54. The "practice is cancelled" text or "class is cancelled" sign on the door.
55. An immaculately vacuumed carpet.
56. The chips, veggies, and dip served at a family party.
57. A good pump. (Where are my workout junkies?)
61. Being really angry, then cleansing your body through writing expression.
62. Winning the game.
63. Double leggings on a bitter cold day.
64. When someone actually takes your shift.
65. Musty smelling choir robes.
66. Singing when no one's home.
67. Fuji apples dipped in peanut butter.
68. Cookie butter pie.
70. Good hair days.
71. The clearance athletic section at Target.
72. Running in the rain.
73. Stepping on crunchy leaves.
73. Banana fudge anything.
74. Egg-free cookie dough.
75. Getting an A on the test you thought you failed.
78. Getting added to a group chat.
79. The tingly feel you get down your neck when someone plays with your hair.
80. Salad bars.
81. Using your boyfriend as a heat bank.
82. When they have your size. (Since apparently everyone and their mother is your size..)
83. College sporting events.
84. Wine night.
85. Finding something nostalgic in your room.
86. Getting picked up during a hug.
87. Homemade smoothies.
88. Finding something you lost.
90. Turning in an assignment or getting something done far in advance.
91. A cleaned out and vacuumed car.
93. Birds chirping on weekend mornings.
94. More coffee.
95. Getting out a good cry when needed.
96. Sore muscles from a bomb workout.
97. Scrambled egg whites with kale and spinach.
98. Acceptance letters.
99. Winter break.
100. Writing lists of things that bring you pure and undeniable joy.