You Deserve A Study Break: Investigating A New Trend On Social Media

Have you ever wondered what 100 coats of various cosmetics look like? Well, wonder no longer; just read on.

14
You Deserve A Study Break:  Investigating A New Trend On Social Media

If you’re one of those lucky people just finishing up a round of summer school––holla Summer Session One Davis––then it might be time for a nice break. Here’s a great one in the form of a new beauty trend. As someone who casually follows various beauty vloggers and watches the occasional beauty tutorial on Instagram, a very different new trend came to my attention this week. It seems to have begun with nail polish in a trend called #polishmountain. This is a trend video in which someone puts on over 100 coats of nail polish. At first I brushed it off as a something strange that a couple people had decided to do, but more and more people jumped in. A few YouTubers did videos putting on 100 coats of liquid lipstick; others did videos of 100 coats of foundation or mascara.

Recently, Jenna Mourey, better known as Jenna Marbles, joined in the fun. As she says in the video, this kind of content is what she joined the internet for. Never one to go halfway, she goes the whole hog: the video shows her putting on 100 layers of fake eyelashes, foundation, liquid lipstick, hair spray, nail polish and fake tan. It was simultaneously impressive and horrifying, only getting worse when she attempted to take it off.

What exactly is the draw of this new challenge? It takes a serious time commitment—the most viewed liquid lipstick video took nine hours to film—and a large amount of whatever product(s) the person decides to use.

This all began with Simply Nailogical, a nail artist with various social media accounts, who put on 100 coats of nail polish as a requested video, and from there the trend took off. Enjoy a few screenshots from various videos as a quick trip through the trend.

Simply Nailogical:

Partway through: 77 coats in!

She made many faces like this. It was a long day, as she sat there the entire day making this video.

Final result: over 100 coats. Her final count was 116.

Heads up: her video is great, but it does have some profanity.

Lily Melrose:

Lily wearing over 100 coats of liquid lipstick.

Jenna Marbles:

Jenna before applying anything.

Halfway through, ft. fake tan arm.

While trying to take it off, she exclaims, "I regret everything!!"

In by far my favorite edition of this trend, Jenna Marbles really went the extra mile––or extra 500 coats––and applied six different products. The final product was certainly something to behold. You will probably never forget what those eyelashes look like, and let us share in the communal inability to unsee that visual.

Photos all credited to the respective YouTube channels: Simply Nailogical, Lily Melrose, and Jenna Marbles.