10 Things New Yorkers are Tired of Hearing

By "New Yorkers," I mean people not from the city

38

I've written about what it means to be a real New Yorker, but I'm tired of hearing things whenever I mention I'm from New York. It's like someone saying they're from Washington and assuming it's D.C. and not the state. Just some things we can all understand so no one gets headaches.

1. You're from New York? What part of the city are you from?

This is my least favorite and it is the most common! It irks me. There is a whole f#cking state above the city. Also, there's Long Island which is more of its own state than a part of New York state. The state is HUGE!! Learn geography please!

2 So, do you go to the city a lot?

Do you go to the beach a lot because you live in Hampton Roads? It's irritating to be asked a lot if you go the city just because you live two hours away. People in Hampton Roads live less than an hour away and I don't ask if you go to the beach a lot.

3 I could tell you're from the north because of your accent

I don't have an accent. You're the one with the southern twang accent. How are you gonna say "Y'all" when there's only one of me?

4 How many Broadway shows have you seen?

Why? Just because I live near the city doesn't mean I have the money for a Broadway show! It is EXPENSIVE!! Of course, I have been to a few shows, but it's not like I was just jumping in my car every Wednesday to go see a matinee.

5 So... Jets or Giants?

I'm not even that big of a football fan. I'll cheer for the Steelers but that's because part of my extended family likes them.

6 Are your bagels really better than Einstein's?

7 Is New York pizza really better?

8 So if you're from New York, why'd you come here for school?

I'm kidding of course. I'm not from Philly and don't have wealthy relatives. I came down to Old Dominion because it's warmer and they have my program. Do you know how much it snows up there?? A LOT!!!

9 How many times have you seen Billy Joel at The Garden?

I would, but he's so dang expensive!! That's why he always plays in the city. People in the city can afford that.

10 Where exactly do you live?

Are you looking for an address or something? It's hard to describe where I live with most people only knowing: The City, Syracuse, Buffalo and possibly Albany. I always say Dutchess County, about two hours north of the city. Nothing goes on in Hyde Park, New York. There's a diner... A roller rink.... The diner... I mean Franklin D. Roosevelt lived there but that's it. Where I exactly live isn't a big deal, just know it's not upstate and not the city.

Just know there are other places in New York City and "Upstate". Just know we've heard these questions a million times and sometimes we get irritated by it. There are just those days that we have to describe our hometown multiple times a day and it can get to us. Just be respectful when asking and don't be too much of a burden.