10 Ways You Know You're From Boaz, Alabama

There is no place like home, and Boaz, Alabama will always be home.

377
Rivers Langley / Wikimedia Commons

Every small town has their own traditions and way of life. Boaz, Alabama is full of these hometown qualities that only the Pirates would understand.

1. Seeing someone you know at the grocery store, restaurant, or red light

When you live in a town as small as Boaz, It is very difficult to go anywhere without seeing someone you know or someone who knows you (yes, there is a difference). Whether it's at Piggly Wiggly, Pasquale's, or even a red light on HWY 431, you can never make a trip without seeing someone you know.

2. Eating at Los Arcos at least 5 times a week

When you live in Boaz, Los Arcos becomes more than just a restaurant. It becomes a necessity. From a surprise birthday party for your best friend to after church on Sundays to having a Friday night Mexican date night, Los Arcos is the place.

3. Friday nights in the fall are reserved for high school football

Even if your team wins one game during the season, everyone knows that Friday nights from August to October (sometimes longer) are spent at L.F. Corley Jr. Stadium.

4. You can't go anywhere out of town without a stranger bringing up the outlets or your accent.

Boaz was once home to over 130 outlet stores in the late '80s. This made it the largest tourist attraction in the state. Whether you're on a mission trip or at the beach on vacation, if you get asked where you're from, be prepared for a 5-minute conversation about the former outlets. This conversation leads to someone making a comment about your southern accent that you don't even realize you have.

5. Everyone can't wait to graduate and leave but then stays 2 more years to go to college.

At the beginning of Senior year, every senior says, "I can't wait to leave this place." However, when graduation time comes, the majority of your classmates stay in Boaz and attend Snead State Community College.

6. You run into people who know you through your parents but you have no idea who they are.

As you get older, you run into people at the store or church who know you because of your parents. This conversation can be very awkward because typically, you have no idea who the person is, even though they know exactly who you are. This conversation usually starts with,"I knew you when you were just a little baby!"

7. When people ask where Boaz is, you always say "Halfway between Huntsville and Birmingham."

Because Boaz is so small, many people don't know where its located. It becomes a habit to describe it as halfway between Huntsville and Birmingham.

8. Everyone knows where everyone lives and if you don't, hearing the directions are more complicated than getting there.

If you ask for directions in Boaz, you're going to get something like, "Turn by the pasture, go until the red light and turn left." This turns into asking yourself, "Which pasture?" and "Which red light?" Because of this, it is much easier to ask for an address and pray to the good Lord above that your GPS doesn't fail you this time.

9. Sundays are reserved for Jesus and naps.

For most people living in Boaz, Sunday mornings are reserved for worshipping at one of the many churches in and around Boaz. After church, most citizens take a Sunday afternoon nap, the best naps that tower over any other nap taken at any other time during the week.

10. Having to choose between the many, many, many places to get chicken fingers.

Between McDonald's, Zaxby's, Arby's, Wendy's, Burger King, Jack's, KFC, Dairy Queen, Hardee's, Y Mart, and if you're willing to take a little drive, Bee Gees, There are plenty of places to get chicken fingers (and other food). If there is one thing we know in Boaz, it's how to eat.

No matter how bad we want to leave this place, Boaz will always have a special place in everyone who lives here or visits and Boaz will always be home. And after all, there is no place like home.