11 Ways To Stay Mentally Healthy During Quarantine

The best way to feel good about yourself on the outside is to start on the inside.

88

These last few weeks have been difficult, to say the least. You are stuck inside, you miss your friends, and you feel like there's nothing else to do. Although things may seem down in the dumps, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, both physically and mentally. In order to keep feeling positive about yourself and your surroundings, there are some things you can do to reduce stress and anxiety. Here are some easy ways to ease your mind and give your mental health some extra TLC.

1. Open Your Window

Seems simple enough, right? You will be amazed at what a little fresh air and sunshine can do for your mind. While you're working on whatever homework or paperwork you have for the day, open your blinds or crack open your window. Some extra sunlight and a cool breeze can significantly improve your productivity and your mood. Creating a positive environment to spend your time in can help to reduce some stress or pressure you are feeling.

2. Set Goals

It can sometimes be difficult to stay productive when working from home. Try and set goals for yourself each day, no matter how small. Before you fall asleep, write down one or two things you are going to accomplish the next day. It can be as trying as finishing that paper you've been working on, or as simple as doing a load of laundry. At the end of the day, cross off all the things you had written down that you completed. Knowing you met the goals you set for yourself will leave you feeling productive (because you are!). Just take it one day, or one step, at a time.

3. Keep A Routine

Although you are working from home, implement a routine into your daily life. By no means does it have to look like your daily routine from school or work -- this new routine can be morphed into what works best for your situation now. Start by setting an alarm for the time you would usually be up-and-at-'em and change out of those PJs! Try and eat your meals around the same time each day, and set aside certain hours to accomplish the work you have. Following a good routine will lead you astray from distractions like watching Netflix all day or scrolling through TikTok (even though that's what you'd rather be doing). Get in a good groove by establishing healthy habits to feel better about your day.

4. Switch Locations

Instead of sitting at the same workspace everyday, try switching up spots in your home when doing work. A change in environment may spark your creativity and increase your productivity for the day. No use staying in one spot all week! Plus, a change in scenery is good for your mind. Starting work in a new location can re-start your brain and re-fuel your energy. If you find yourself being unproductive while sitting at your desk, grab your laptop and move to the kitchen or pull up a chair near the window. (Like I said, sunlight works wonders in improving productivity!)

5. Listen To Music

The right music has psychologically proven to improve mood. We can actually associate a favorite song or type of melody with different people, places, or thoughts. The right song can have an extreme effect on our mood and make us feel relaxed, excited, or happy with just a few notes. Create a new playlist with some of your go-to favorite songs to play when you're feeling anxious. You know exactly which songs make you smile a little when you hear them -- that's because their melody stimulates pleasure-inducing parts of the brain. Even just having your playlist on in the background can significantly make you feel better.

6. Exercise 

Yes, I know you've heard this before. But now that you have all this extra time on your hands, there's nothing stopping you from engaging in some exercise! It is important to work your muscles, especially since you're not leaving the house everyday for work anymore. Find an exercise routine that works for you, whether it be taking a run around the block, or following a workout video. Even if it takes a little push to begin, you'll be shocked by how much exercise can improve your mental health, energy, and ability to focus after you've conquered that workout.

7. Eat Healthy

One of the easier ways to feel good on the inside is to put aside the bag of chips and eat something healthy! It's not about losing weight, it's about feeling good about yourself. The best way to start is by putting good food into your system. Experiment with delicious and healthy new recipes that you've always wanted to try but have never had the time.

8. FaceTime Your Friends

Daily check-ins with your friends and family are more important now more than ever. Social distancing is tough, but just remember, everyone is feeling this way. While it's not the same as seeing them in person, if you're missing someone, a FaceTime call is the perfect compromise. Keeping in contact with the people you are closest to will for sure make you feel better, even just by hearing their voice. You can talk about all the fun places to go together after quarantine ends!

9. Pick A Project 

If you are looking for something to do when you're taking a break from work, try picking a project around the house to work a little on each day. If you are artistic, try painting. If you like to clean, like me, try re-organizing your room. Taking on a small project is a great way to ease your mind and occupy your time with a new activity.

10. Take A Break 

If you are feeling stressed or pressure from all the things happening in the world, it might be a good idea to take a break from social media, even just for a day. It is nearly impossible to open your phone without seeing the latest updates of the world and how others are coping. However, take some time to focus on yourself instead of reading about others, just for a second. This is a perfect way to re-boot your mind and mood. Remember, there is no use stressing about the things that are out of your control -- focus on you for a bit.

11. Do Some Self-Care

It is important to remember to take care of yourself before you can worry about taking care of all the things you have to do. Remember, you cant pour from an empty cup. Take a moment to do something just for you. Relax with a bubble bath or face mask, finish a movie on Netflix, bake something sweet, or go for a walk down the block. All the tasks you have to complete can wait just an hour while you work on yourself. Your health is most important, above all else.