10 Ways To Choose Love In 2017

10 Ways To Choose Love In 2017

In order to live a happy, fulfilling life, we must find ways to choose love and seek God with all of our heart.

32
10 Ways To Choose Love In 2017
Shelby

In a world full of so much hatred, I challenge you to make a significant change in 2017. I challenge you to choose love instead of hate. Right now you're probably thinking that's silly because of course you choose love over hate. But it's not that simple. When I say choose love, I mean you need to choose it every day. When you decide to choose love, you choose God, too. Why? Because God is love. The only way to truly know the meaning of love is by connecting with your Creator - God. God created the Earth and crafted each of us with His hands, knowing every small detail of our lives from beginning to end. He chose us when He sent His only Son to die on the cross for our sins.

When you choose love, your heart will feel so much fuller. You will want to serve and please God any way you can. When you choose love, you are pulled to what God has called you to do. About ten years ago, I was saved. I'll never forget what a wonderful day that was. I was at summer camp with Collierville First Baptist Church with a few of my friends. We were in our rooms for the night, talking about God and how much He loves us. The love God has for us is an unfathomable, infinite love. Once I understood that, my heart sunk. Everything clicked. I wept for hours and talked about being saved by Jesus. It was a night I will never forget.

Ever since that day, my whole life has changed. I have had some really great times that have pleased the Lord. I have also had some very rough times, in which I was so ashamed of the way I looked in God's eyes. And He still loves me the same. When I think about God's love for me, I think about how I can love others in the way that Jesus showed love to people when he was on Earth. I am striving to get better at loving others the way Jesus loves us every single day. There are a few resources I have used to help me along the way.

1. The Bible

My sweet mom gave me her Bible about ten years ago whenever I needed it for camp. I love it because it has her notes in it, and I like to add onto what she has already highlighted. It's also a student Bible, so it's got reading plans and is fairly easy to comprehend. This is the BEST resource you can use to learn how to love others and practice love every single day.

2. The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

Rick Warren's book is one of the most touching, life-changing books I have read besides the Bible. If you read this book the way you are supposed to, it will help you in ways you never even thought were possible. It will make you a better person and help you find God's purpose for your life. You will find more meaning in your life.

http://purposedriven.com/books/pdlbook/#purpose

3. The Most Excellent Way to Lead by Perry Noble

About six months ago, I subscribed to FaithBox. If you've never heard of this, please check out their website. They have a lot of great monthly gift boxes, and the proceeds help families in need. In my first Faith Box, there was a book included, called The Most Excellent Way to Lead by Perry Noble. I just finished the book last week. It was easily one of the best books about leadership I have ever read. Noble puts a nice twist on the practice of leadership and how we can lead people better. Noble believes that the best way to lead people is by love. In Corinthians, Paul describes love, but the way he begins is through a statement: "And now I will show the most excellent way!" In Noble's opinion, Paul is referring to leading by loving others. His description of love is the way we should lead. I won't spoil the book, but if you are a leader or you want to be an effective leader, get your hands on this book. They have an Audiobook by Perry Noble on YouTube for free, too.

http://faithbox.com/

https://perrynoble.com/books/the-most-excellent-wa...

4. Ravi Zacharias

A good friend of mine suggested that I listen to Ravi Zacharias's podcast series called Let My People Think. The way Ravi speaks about Christianity and the world we live in today is very interesting. I have learned a lot, and I think a lot of people could benefit from tuning in to what he has to say. His podcasts are only 26 minutes long. I try to listen and take notes as I go along. You can learn more about Ravi by going to his website: http://rzim.org/

5. Family

My family has shown me what it really means to love. They have loved me ever since they heard about my existence, and I'm fairly confident they will love me forever. I have let them down and disappointed them, yet they still love me the same. I am so blessed God gave me such a beautiful, loving family.

6. Friends

True friends are hard to find, but God puts the right ones in our lives, especially when we need them most. Friends have to tolerate a lot of things that probably make them want to shake us, but at the end of the day, they're there for us. That's love.

7. Prayer

I don't pray as often as I should, but they say the first step is admitting it - right? I need to pray more; that's one of my priorities. Being the total control freak that I am, sometimes I struggle to just let go and let God. When I don't have the answers, I pray and talk to God about it. I find my peace when I let go and give it all to Him. I talk to God about where I fall short, and He leads me in the direction I need to go. I find love by praying to be like Him and all that He wants me to be.

8. K-LOVE

I listen to K-LOVE every morning. Their music and inspirational messages always start my day on a positive note. I understand their theme song now - "positive, encouraging...K-Loooove!" I joined the K-LOVE Challenge. It feels good knowing that my money is going to good use; I love what they do and supporting them is so rewarding. Check them out at http://www.klove.com/

9. Tranquility

I connect with God fully when I shut off the electronics and sit in complete silence with Him. The way you connect with God will vary from the way other people do, but peace and quiet is where I find Him the most. I try to spend at least 30 minutes a day talking to Him and listening to what He's trying to put on my heart. If you don't spend alone time with God, now is the best time to start. When we connect with our God, our Creator, we find ourselves the most.

10. Making Connections

I have had the privilege of connecting with all kinds of people over the past year or so. 2016 hasn't been the most bright and cheery year, but it has opened my eyes to the world around me. I learned that the city of Memphis is pretty incredible. Our country is extremely blessed, and we are so fortunate to have all of the opportunities that we have here in America. Our world needs more love in it. I haven't always been the most loving person; however, 2016 taught me to love people more than I have in the past. I love others by listening to them, caring for them, smiling at them, and being patient with them. Everywhere I go, I meet amazing people. By simply smiling at them, I set a positive tone for the conversation before I even speak. When I do speak, they are much more inclined to be kind back to me. I would encourage all of you to do the same. Memphis and many other cities in the United States may be harsh, but we're all just looking for love and kindness. See each day as an opportunity to love others and allow them to see God through you.

The points listed above are just a few of the resources that have helped me "choose love" and find God.

Our world is changing right in front of our eyes. We have more advanced technology, mass communication, etc., but we also have to pay the price for that. We have more problems to handle than our ancestors did. When we started advancing, we became less patient, less selfless, less centered on God and His purpose for our lives. The United States has a lot of work to do. We have a lot of people in need in our country. People are dying. They're unhealthy, and they're suffering. We have to treat our people right and we have to love them. Do what is right, and love others the way Jesus loves us. Live the way God wants us to live. Do what is right, and never, ever lose hope.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

Beloved, let us love one another, because love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
9This is how God’s love was revealed among us: God sent His one and only Son into the world, so that we might live through Him. 10And love consists in this: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

11Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God remains in us, and His love is perfected in us. 13By this we know that we remain in Him, and He in us: He has given us of His Spirit. 14And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent His Son to be the Savior of the world. - 1 John 4:7-14

http://biblehub.com/bsb/1_john/4.htm