10 Ways Cats Remind Us Of Relationships

10 Ways Cats Remind Us Of Relationships

Owning cats and being in a relationships have their correlations.

39
10 Ways Cats Remind Us Of Relationships
123RF

Whether you are the proud owner of a cat (maybe a few), or have been to the house of one, you will be able to relate. Unlike dogs, who are loyal beyond belief, cats are a little more realistic when portraying the commonalities between interactions with our feline friends in comparison to human relationships. Here are some of those similar aspects.

1. You will not always agree.

Did the cat chew up your charge cord...again? Or made a million scratch marks on the new couch? Obviously, this might not make you upset, but for whatever reason it made them very happy. You do not see eye to eye, which can easily happen in a relationship too. Sometimes you just do not understand your human counterpart and they push your buttons by doing something that upsets you, but they really do not have a clue as to why.

2. But you tend to love them again, even after a disagreement.

Whatever they did could make you mad for a while, but once a cat comes up to you purring it is almost like an apology, and all is forgiven. They are too cute to stay mad at (until next time). Cats do what humans can do verbally, once your significant other comes to you with an apology and some sweet words to cover the small offense, it is hard to still be upset and the relationship goes back to normal.

3. Compromise is key.

Think about it, cats do what they want without much regard for others, and they will definitely not come when you call. If you really want to bond you just have to meet them halfway, cats are stubborn and if they give a little then you have to as well so you will both be happy. This is also a regular action that may need to happen with a significant other, if you emotionally both stay in your own corner, chances are it won't get better. However, give a little compromise and then the problem will most likely be fixed and it shows you both care about the other.

4. At times you just want some space.

If you have a cat that likes to follow you around, or if a cat has ever sat on you for too long, then you will understand the constant struggle of actually wanting some space from the precious animal. Just like in a relationship, you would not want your other half to follow you around 24/7. It may become a little much if they try to follow you into the bathroom. Needless to say, your space if important and should be respected whether by man or by cat.

5. Need to be prepared for moods to change at a moments notice.

Cats can be so finicky, one instant they want to get attention and then the next they run away. There are times that you can pet a cat and they seem very happy, then suddenly they try to scratch/bite and there is no explaining why. Again, this is something humans do verbally. Your partner could go from happy to mad at mention of a specific word/phrase. Whatever makes them tick, you might not be aware of yet and are left sitting there confused.

6. Sometimes boundaries should be set.

As ridiculous as this sounds, it is true. Even though you love the cat you cannot let them sit on your homework or nothing would get done. Nor would you let them drink from the same glass as you and there is no way you would let them in your closet if they are going to destroy everything. Setting boundaries with your significant other is good too. You would love to hang out all night, but you have an early morning and need some sleep. This is a great time to figure out when you would want space and to set up boundaries.

7. You feel bad when you hurt them.

Unless you are a monster, you are not purposely trying to harm any cat. But hey, sometimes it happens, like when you step on the tail you did not see. However, once you realize what happened, you chase them trying to force them to receive your affection because you feel really bad. Just like when you realize you have hurt the feelings of the person you love, sometimes you try to do whatever possible to make things right again.

8. You love it when they want to be with you.

Since cats can be moody and very independent, when they actually approach you for attention it is super exciting. Kind of like when your significant other chooses to hang out with you over a night with their friends it makes you feel special.

9. When you are gone you miss them dearly.

Leaving your cat to go on a trip or go back to school can be one of the worst parts about leaving. They are on your mind a lot, you worry and wish you could hold them again but it can't happen. Then when you get back, you almost want to see them more than anyone else. Likewise, in a relationship long trips and distances can be tough because you are not physically together and Skype just isn't the same. Seeing them after a while brings you a great amount of joy because you missed them so much.

10. No matter what, you appreciate them.

Between cat and significant other, you admire both of them and are happy to have them in your life.