10 Ways to Beat Boredom this Holiday Season

Bored beyond belief this winter? Not anymore.

103
Flicker - Allan Slank

It’s that time of the year again. It’s chilly outside, snow is on the ground, and all you really want to do is stay in the safety of your warm home. However, it’s hard to stay entertained for so long. So, here’s ten ways on how to have fun this winter whether you’re trying to avoid the cold snow or brave enough to face it!

1. Netflix and Chill

Okay, so maybe “chilling” isn’t your thing. Netflix is still there though! Whether you’re cuffed this winter, just hanging out with friends, or staying inside by yourself, Netflix has your back. Netflix has a huge selection of Christmas movies to choose from, and there’s more than enough to binge watch until you can’t keep your eyes open anymore. Sure, this isn’t the most productive thing to do this winter. But who cares! Grab your fuzzy socks, your coziest blanket, some warm hot chocolate, and get ready to sit on the couch for hours.

2. Bake Christmas Cookies

Christmas cookies are one of the highlights of winter. They’re yummy, fun to decorate, and a blast to make. Call up your mom, get that secret family recipe, and get to work. Invite over a few buddies and have a cookie baking party! It’s always a good time spreading the joy of delicious cookies with your friends.

3. Learn How to Snowboard/Ski

Every winter, you swear you’re going to learn… and every spring, you still don’t know how. Make this winter the winter you finally learn! Whether it’s snowboarding or skiing, find a friend who can help you learn or go to a ski park and see if someone there will help you. Dress accordingly, and be prepared to have a sore butt for days (maybe stuff some padding under your snowpants?).

4. Volunteer at a Soup Kitchen

This one is probably not on most people’s “fun things to do this winter” list. However, volunteering at a soup kitchen is not only bringing happiness to others, but it can bring you happiness too. Soup kitchens get really crowded during the winter, especially as it gets colder and there’s more snow on the ground. The feeling of being able to make someone’s day just by giving them some food or spending some time with them is one that is hard to beat. Spread a little Christmas love and do a good dead this winter.

5. Have a Snowball Fight

Once you’re ready to face the cold outside, call up some friends and get ready for war. The adrenaline of trying to not get hit by a fluffball speeding straight towards you and laughing until your stomach hurts is always a winter favorite. Get your fighting gloves ready!

6. Throw a Holiday Party

Invite over all your friends, and throw a holiday party! It doesn’t have to be anything too big or crazy. Just an excuse to have all your favorite people over and have a good time. Set out some of those cookies you made, put on some cheerful holiday music, maybe set up some mistletoe, and have a good night spending the holiday with your friends.

7. Have a Photo Shoot with your Pets

Pick out the cutest outfit you can for your pooch, or maybe steal borrow one of your friends’ pets and dress them up. This one is a bit strange, but I promise it is so fun. Maybe grab a little Santa hat and take your pet outside in the snow. The snow outside makes for a great background for your cute photo.

8. Read a Book

Sometimes all you need is to take a breather. The holiday season can be hectic, with trying to find extra money for Christmas presents to having to deal with family members’ constant questions of what you are planning to do with your life. Find a good book to read and sit by the window. The snow falling outside and the coziness of being inside reading a good book is the perfect way to relax during this crazy season.

9. Go See Christmas Lights

If the roads aren’t too dangerous, and you have a friend or two willing to brave them with you, going to see Christmas lights is a fun thing to do with them this winter. Some towns might have lists posted online of some houses that have great Christmas light shows, or sometimes zoos and other public places have Christmas light showings. If not, it’s always fun to just drive and see if you can find any yourself. Be cautious of the slippery roads and be safe!

10. Spread the Christmas Spirit

Much like going to a volunteer at a Soup Kitchen, spreading the Christmas spirit and joy is one of the most fulfilling feelings. Go out and do some random acts of kindness, just because. Your neighbor is of a certain age and has trouble cleaning their driveway? Go clean it for them. You saw a homeless person shivering out in the cold? Maybe offer to buy them a meal or give them an old jacket you don’t use anymore. Giving is always something that warms a person’s heart, and it’s a perfect way to beat the cold this winter. Go spread some love and joy this winter season, and warm yourself up by seeing someone smile.