10 Video Game Soundtracks Everyone Can Enjoy

The beauty of music has no limits.

47

Music is undeniably one of the most unique things known to man. It is able to bring meaning to so many things and is able to spark new found emotions in our hearts. This also pertains to video games! While everyone has their reasons for playing video games or not, there’s nothing stopping us from listening to a good tune, and these 10 video game soundtracks are sure to prove that. Here are the ten video game soundtracks I believe everyone can enjoy!

10. "Flower"

"Flower" is a unique indie title brought to life in the year 2009. Aesthetically appealing in every aspect, "Flower" is sure to take you on quite the ride not only visually but audibly as well. Composed by Vincent Diamante, the music follows each level’s aura carefully. The result is breathtaking. Each track brings a new sense of serenity to the listener’s ears, calming one’s bloodstream and relaxing any tense muscles. "Flower" is a permanent member of the Smithsonian American Art Museum exhibit by the name "The Art of Video Games," and it’s not hard to tell why. If you haven’t played this gem on the PlayStation yet, you’re gonna want to now.

9. "Fez"

An indie platformer brought to life in the year 2012, "Fez" combines 2D and 3D elements unlike anything gamers have ever seen. Over time after it’s initial release, "Fez" gained what many would call “universal acclaim.” It is described as bringing back the 1980s feel to video games in such a unique way not only through its graphical style, but also by its music. Composer Rich Vreeland, also known by the name Disasterpeace, used soft synth pads and reverb to make the soundtrack what it is known for today. Personally, I wasn’t a huge fans of these kinds of soundtracks, until I ran into "Fez". The music fits perfectly with the atmosphere and visual appeal that "Fez" is known for, and it is a treat to behold.

8. "Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End"

"Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End" is one of the best video games of 2016 thus far, and it’s not hard to see why. Great story, beautiful graphics, perfectly drawn characters and a well composed soundtrack provide a satisfying end to Nathan Drake’s marvelous adventure. The soundtrack sounds like it belongs in a box office success with its fair balance of fast paced and slow paced pieces. Composed by Henry Jackman, the same man behind the soundtrack to "Captain America: Civil War," this original soundtrack will make you crave more adventures alongside Nathan Drake.

7. "Ori and the Blind Forest"

With 12 nominations and seven won awards, "Ori and the Blind Forest" is a treat to Xbox owners everywhere. Artistically gorgeous and pure bliss to the ears, this soundtrack will keep making you come back for seconds, thirds and more. Composer Gareth Coker brings the game to life everywhere you go, making sure the acclaimed game stays by your side. Playing through the game brings the music closer to your heart, tugging at your strings and increasing the tempo your heart beats to. A true gem of the year 2015, "Ori and the Blind Forest"’s music is sure to go down in history as one of the most engaging and artistically genius soundtracks ever put in a video game.

6. "Assassin’s Creed II"

A favorite among fans of the "Assassin’s Creed" franchise, "Assassin’s Creed II" puts you in the shoes of Ezio, an assassin living in Venice, Italy. It became a worldwide success during its first week of release in the year 2009, and there are many reasons why. The original and gripping story, the stunning visuals, the beautiful animation and of course one of the best soundtracks ever made. Jesper Kyd does an amazing job of bringing Venice and Ezio’s world to life. The sound dips into your ears and encompasses true beauty. "Assassin’s Creed II" is an unforgettable game, brought to life through each note that plays.

5. "The Last of Us"

Developers Naughty Dog bring us one of the most memorable video games of all time. Set in a post-apocalyptic world, you play as Joel, a man tasked with escorting young Ellie across the United States. I’m leaving it at that. I don’t want to spoil too much because this is a game you’re gonna want to experience for yourself. Everything about this game will want you craving more. The characterization, the relationships between the characters, the environment, the gameplay and the way the characters were able to connect with players. That’s not why I’m here though. I’m here to tell you about the unique soundtrack behind it. Composed by Argentine musician Gustavo Santaolalla, the soundtrack brings a whole new meaning to the wasted land of "The Last of Us." Known for his minimalist approaches to his soundtracks, Santaolalla was excited about working on "The Last of Us," and boy are we sure glad he was. Rather than making the soundtrack scary to fit with the games connection to horror, Santaolalla takes an emotional turn, wanting to make the environment, characters, and feelings come to life and it all paid off. A must listen for music fans, "The Last of Us" will blow you away.

4. "Final Fantasy VII"

A favorite to fans of the "Final Fantasy" franchise, "Final Fantasy VII" took the world by storm on its release in the year 1997. The most sold "Final Fantasy" game also came with composer Nobuo Uematsu’s most recognized contributions to the series as a whole. The soundtrack has a sense of realism and was the first to include vocals alongside the soundtrack. Whether you listen to remastered versions, the "Piano Collections Final Fantasy VII" or the original, you’re sure to get your music’s worth of beauty and intensity behind every note.

3. "Shadow of the Colossus"

Considered one of the best games of all time to this day, "Shadow of the Colossus" has it all. Gripping story, a heartbreaking end, great gameplay, gorgeous graphics for its time (still considered beautiful to this day!) and its unique use of music. The world of "Shadow of the Colossus" lacks color and life, brilliantly emphasizing this with its grey atmosphere. No sound is heard except for the clomps of your horse or the echoes from your character’s feet. Doing that allows the player to feel the solitude and experience the empty atmosphere. Only during a cutscene or a battle with a Colossus will music play, and when it does it’s enchanting. Thanks to composer Kow Otani, the music of "Shadow of the Colossus" is a ride of a lifetime. Slow and elegant pieces and intense, action filled tracks audibly represent what "Shadow of the Colossus" is.

2. "Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time"

This list wouldn’t be complete without a "Legend of Zelda" game. The problem is choosing which one. My pick goes to the "Ocarina of Time". Koji Kondo provides the magic and wonder the "Legend of Zelda" series is known for to life with his wonderful composing. Magic floods the ears with each note and nothing but enjoyment can be found while listening to this masterpiece. I have yet to find someone who doesn’t like the soundtrack to the "Ocarina of Time." Each piece has a place in the hearts of fans all over the world, and it’s not hard to see why.

1. "Journey"

Considered one of the best indie games of all time, my number one pick has to go to the first soundtrack to be nominated for a Grammy: "Journey." Released in 2012, "Journey" stars a voiceless character who goes on, well, a journey! It’s not just the “simplicity” of the plot that makes this game one of the best, in fact the game is deeper than one may think. Its graphics are absolutely gorgeous, the designs of the creatures and the silent protagonist are unique and the storytelling is done flawlessly and with silent yet very much felt emotion. In fact, there is no dialogue; the music does all the “talking.” Composed by the brilliant Austin Wintory, the music of the game focuses on one major theme rather than a bunch of themes compiled into one game and the payoff is spectacular. The main instrument used is the cello. Wintory comments that the soundtrack is "like a big cello concerto where you are the soloist and all the rest of the instruments represent the world around you," pertaining to the main character, which, essentially, is you. Not only are you treated to a visual journey unlike any other, you’re rewarded with a gorgeous soundtrack serving as a journey for your ears.

There are tons of video games that deserve the spotlight that I didn’t mention. Games like "Minecraft," "Call of Duty," "Halo," "Bastion," "Mirror’s Edge," "Undertale," "Fable" and "Dust an Elysian Tail," you name it! Woah! I might as well make another list if there are so many! But, I’ll spare you the time of reading. I’ll say this though. There’s so much more to a video game than what you hear in the news or what stereotypical characters on popular shows may portray, as you can see here. In order for something to be truly judged, you need to take the time and effort to experience it yourself. These soundtracks are for you to enjoy and maybe, just maybe, you’ll be sucked into a world you never thought you’d belong to. So grab a pair of headphones, turn up the volume, sit back and enjoy the ride! Search for video game soundtracks! You’ll be surprised at just how amazing they can truly be.