10 Unwritten Rules for Growing Up in Texas

Just ten very Texan things.

360
Photo by Natalya on Unsplash

Yes, we know, everything's bigger in Texas. Including Texas, which is HUGE, if you didn't know. So big that it has its own quirky ways of life. Here are a few "rules" that I learned growing up here.

1. When you're driving and you see a Buc-ee's sign on the highway, you stop no matter what.

Texas folks, you know that Texas is the land of road trips. When you happen upon the wonderful thing that is Buc-ee's, you must stop and get some beaver nuggets and a t-shirt. Or some fudge or barbecue or jerky. You just must stop. (For non-Texas residents, that's pronounced "Bucky's." Ya gotta get that right.)

2. Dr. Pepper and sweet tea are your top choices.

Going to a restaurant? Or to a friend's house? Chances are, they will offer you Dr. Pepper or sweet tea. Need you any other options? Nope.

3. Whataburger is a regular staple in your diet.

Mmm and their Fancy Ketchup. Not even Heinz can compare.

4. When you ask for a coke, they're going to give you a Dr. Pepper.

Here in Texas, coke is typically a generic term used for soda. You may ask, "can I have a coke?" and the reply is "what kind?" Non-Texans, don't be angered by this, it's a Texas tradition. Texas is the home of the late Dublin, TX plant that made Dublin DP with delicious Imperial Cane Sugar. Rest in Peace, Dublin.

Also, if you didn't know, we have a Dr. Pepper Museum in good ole' Waco, TX. Stop by next time you journey out to see the Magnolia Silos.

5. If you need to borrow a trailer or a truck, you've got at least three buddies willing to help you out.

That is…if you don’t already have a trailer or a truck. Or both.

6. Sundays in the fall are for football, queso, beer, and hot dogs.

After church, of course.

7. Your preacher regularly mentioned the Cowboys on football Sundays.

Most likely, he even let you out of service in time to get home and get lunch ready before the game started.

8. Ranch. On. Everything.

Okay maybe this is an all-around southern thing, but ranch is delicious on practically everything. An essential condiment in every Texan's household. Hidden Valley is where its at.

9. You count your blessings if you're lucky enough to live close to an H-E-B.

Purely Texan, purely awesome. Way better than the redneck-filled Walmart down the street, in this native Texan's opinion.

10. Saying the pledge of allegiance in school- to both the U.S. and Texas.

Growing up, I had no idea that other states didn't have their own flag and pledge. Only 17 states in the U.S. do, and most of them are in the south.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

That pause in the middle (thee...Texas...) was always so confusing as a child.

*stomp*

*clap*

*clap*

*clap*

"God Blessed Texas"