10 TV Shows That Should Have Died By Now

Ever hear someone mention a show and then ask, "that's still on?" Well here are all of the shows that should have ended by now, but didn't.

99
Mirror

Just FYI, I'm not stating that I hate any of these shows at all. In fact, I'm a huge fan of a lot of the ones of the list. However, I recognize that shows end and that the ones on this should have naturally died a while back (unless people prefer repeated storylines, uncharacteristic like development, and out-there situations). Another thing, I'm not going to include shows such as this "Lost", "Two And A Half Men", "Pretty Little Liars", "How I Met Your Mother", or "Vampire Diaries" because despite taking their sweet time to finish, they ultimately knew to cut the cord but the shows on the list have, tragically, yet to do the same.

1. “The Big Bang Theory”

Like food, Sitcoms have expiration dates…before they turn into an unappetizing ball of mess that no one wants to consume. On its 10th season, “The Big Bang Theory” is well past its prime, adding characters and repetitive “nerd” jokes to keep it going. There are only so many geeky situations the gang and can get into before it comes implausible and straight out weird. We almost thought the series would die a natural death due to the spin-off “Young Sheldon”, but with the series up for a season 11 and 12 renewal, we’re not that lucky.

2. “Once Upon a Time”

Most shows are loved because fans grow attached to the fictional characters from the TV universe. So naturally, when lead actors Jennifer Morrison (Emma), Ginnifer Goodwin (Snow White), Josh Dallas (Charming), Jared Gilmore (Henry), and Emilie de Ravin (Belle) left their characters behind, it was time for the fairy tale to get its happy ending. However, instead of letting the show have its final bow, the writers renewed the show for another season by having history repeat itself. (SPOILER ALERT!) The show’s season ended with Henry having his daughter show up at his doorstep, much like the season’s pilot which showed Emma finding her son Henry at her door. This deja-vu is a plot twist that nobody asked for and seems to me like a wannabe spinoff that will be repetitive rather than nostalgic. Yikes!

3. “Teen Wolf”

It’s not often the case that the one of the show’s “sidekick” character is loved more than the lead, but “Teen Wolf” casting choice certainly made it so because while the audience saw the lovable Scott, most stayed for the sarcastic and relatable Stiles and the dark brooding Derek. (SPOILER ALERT!) With the departure of Derek (Tyler Hoechlin)in season 5, Stiles (Dylan O’Brien) in the second part of season 6 and even the death of the beloved Allison (Crystal Reed) has Teen Wolf standing on its last legs…and the fans wanting to kick it out from under them. Hopefully, the show will take its final bow...without having a spin-off that no one asked for.

4. “Grey’s Anatomy”

Hospital dramas are one of the best past times because there are great moments of intensity, intimacy, and just the right amount of gore. However, for Seattle Grace’s finest, there’s only so many storylines before things start to seem repetitive. Not to mention, there are only so many character deaths before the audience stops caring. (SPOILER ALERT!) The show really should have ended before the death of Derek Shepard or McDreamy, because let’s be real, all of us like to imagine that our favorite TV show couples make it until the end.

5. “Fairly Odd Parents”

Despite bring back 90’s trends and making quirky spin-offs to long loved and lost shows from our past, the best part of classics was the fact that they were just that—classics. “Fairly Odd Parents” should not have been the exception to the rule. (SPOILER ALERT!) Instead of ending the show, they attempted to “vamp” up the show with the introduction of a new character, Wanda and Cosmo’s son Poof. When that got old, they included a magical talking dog named Sparky. As expected, that didn’t really go over well and Sparky was replaced by another equally as annoying plot device. Now, the show has Chole, a young girl that Timmy has to share his fairies with due to a shortage. As the second longest running series on Nickelodeon with 16 years and 10 seasons under their belt, “Fairly Odd Parents” should have called it quits before their ruined their reputation. Don’t even get me started on the disaster that was Drake Bell’s “A Fairly Odd Movie: Grow Up, Timmy Turner”.

6. “Supernatural”

Supernatural’s series was beloved by millions but like all good things, it needed to come to a close. We almost said goodbye to the Winchester brothers in season 5’s finale “Swan Song” as showrunner Eric Kripke intended for that to be the end…and it should have been. Don’t get me wrong, I love Supernatural but now the show has spiraled down into a mess of monsters, mystical beings, and magic that shows no clear conclusion or main path as it’s been renewed for season 13. There’s also only so many times you can bring people back from the dead before it starts to get old. (SPOILER ALERT!) By bringing Mary back from the dead, the whole reason for Sam and Dean becoming hunters is thrown off and seems like they don’t have a game plan for their plot, let alone their series.

7. “Modern Family”

While unique stories about family relationships via a sitcom are fun for all, there’s only so much before it becomes something we’ve seen before. On its seventh season, the show hasn’t progressed past its original episode, leaning heavily on the same type of jokes and problems. We all watched the kids grow up and understand when it’s time to say goodbye to them. So when the show was renewed for two additional seasons, most don’t realize that we’ll probably get more of the same. (SPOILER ALERT) With Luke and Manny graduating and the others already adults, where else can the story take us?

8. “Teen Mom”

I have no words. To be really honest, I don't even know how "16 and pregnant" became a thing, let alone that its own baby "Teen Mom" lasted this long. With spin-offs like "Teen Mom 2" and "Teen Mom 3", MTV brought back original girls from their first hit to create "Teen Mom OG". However, despite watching 16-year-old teenagers become mothers being classified as either entertaining or educational, there isn't much of the same appeal when the women have grown older and now don't hold the same struggle. It's a wonder that this show got off the ground, but a miracle (more-like curse) as for how it made it this far and still going onto seven seasons.

9. “Criminal Minds”

Crime shows are definitely a fan favorite of mine, with the mystery and the action really making a show intense and cool. However, too much of a good thing is a bad thing. With the show renewed for a 13th season and the departure of loved characters Derek Morgan (Shemar Moore) and Aaron Hotchner (Thomas Gibson), it’s kind of amazing that the show is still kicking. (SPOILER ALERT) However, plot stories like the framed Dr. Reid and newbie Luke, the show focuses too much on the agents and not enough on the crime solving, something nobody wants or needs.

10. “The Walking Dead”

With the show on its 7th season and renewed for its 8th, we wonder how many more “shocking” deaths are in store for us before it’s final bow. The undead have long since turned from horror to slight burden, as the real villains are human. But there’s only so much you can play on that and downgrade the danger of the undead before the audience starts to wonder what the point is in caring for people who will all ultimately die. The show also doesn’t seem to have an “end” in sight so the plot just seems very loose and “plot twists” seem engineered to keep viewers on the hook (much like the season 6 cliffhanger finale).