10 Tips to Help You Sleep Better at Night

37

Good sleeping habits are just as important as eating healthy and exercising. Research shows that poor sleep habits can negatively affect performance, brain function, and hormone output. Weight gain and increased risk of disease also result from a lack of sleep. Overall, getting a good night's sleep can improve your health and help you stay energized throughout the day to ensure you perform competitively at work or achieve top marks in school.

More than 51 percent of Americans report that they don't get enough sleep and that it negatively impacts their quality of life. With premature aging, weight gain, and lethargy on the horizon, you should take your sleep seriously. The following tips can improve sleep habits and patterns, so your health no longer suffers at the hands of your busy schedule or lumpy mattress.

Buy a New Mattress

Replace a mattress that is ripped, torn, or damaged. If your mattress has lumps and bumps and causes you to toss and turn all night, swap it for a brand-new model as soon as possible. If your mattress has outlived the average life expectancy, replacing your mattress is imperative. On average, mattresses offer a sleeper about eight-years of use. Failure to dispose of mattresses that exceed eight years in age may expose your loved ones to years of harmful bacteria and dead skin cells trapped in the fibers of your bed.

Sleeping on a damaged, old, or worn-out mattress is among the top causes of insomnia and sleep problems in the average American. For an instant improvement to your sleep, upgrade to a memory foam mattress from a premium manufacturer like Essentia, so you don't have to toss-and-turn on your 15-year-old pillowtop mattress.

Increase daytime light exposure

Your body's internal time-clock is known as your circadian rhythm. It affects your entire body and brain and signals when you should stay awake and when you need to retire to bed. Natural sunlight during the day improves circadian rhythm, giving you more energy and better quality sleep at night. Daylight exposure is known to decrease the amount of time it takes to fall asleep by 83 percent.

Invest in an artificial bright light if natural lighting is unavailable during the day. If your job binds you to a cubicle, devote time after work for sunlight exposure. Read a book on your front patio or engage in some backyard play with your children after dinner.

Eliminate evening caffeine consumption

Around 90% of Americans consume caffeine each day. Coffee is the first choice for most consumers. In small doses, caffeine benefits the user by enhancing energy, focus, and sports performance. However, when consumed later in the day, caffeine stimulates the nervous system, preventing relaxation during the evening hours.

Sleep studies suggest that consuming caffeine up to six hours before bedtime decreases sleep quality. As a general rule-of-thumb, experts recommend that you stop drinking caffeine after 4 p.m. or earlier if you have trouble sleeping at night.

Take melatonin

Melatonin is a chemical that our bodies naturally produce that tells the brain when it's time for sleep. Low melatonin production in the brain disrupts the sleep cycle. Melatonin supplements boost the brain's production of the hormone. By taking as little as 2mg melatonin one hour before bedtime, an individual will be able to fall asleep faster and wake up refreshed.

Adjust the room temperature

Body and room temperature affect sleep quality. If the body gets too hot while sleeping, you'll wake up in the middle of the night, effectively disrupting the sleep cycle. A stuffy bedroom isn't conducive to a good night's rest and proves to be problematic to many sleepers. The same is true for extreme cold. To avoid sleep interruptions, adjust the room temperature for improved sleep quality.

Optimize your bedroom

Optimizing your bedroom for sleep involves eliminating outside sources of sound and light. Blackout curtains are extremely popular for light elimination in bedrooms. For optimal results, toss out the alarm clock and switch to a natural alarm. Only use the bedroom for sleep and other intended purposes only. Keep the room clean, quiet, and comfortable, so your brain associates your bedroom with relaxation and tranquility.

With diminished light and sound and improved comfort, higher quality sleep will come easily in your new sleep sanctuary. Ideally, set the thermostat to 70 degrees Fahrenheit—a temperature most find comfortable. Play around with the temperature if 70 degrees isn't the sweet spot. Remember, every sleeper is different. Trial and error will help you settle on the temperature that works best for your body.

Relax in the evening

Perform your most strenuous, energetic activities early in the day and evening. When the sun goes down, dedicate this time for relaxing activities. Read a book, watch a movie with the kids, or craft. Choose your favorite evening relaxing activities to give your body time to unwind and acclimate from work time to sleep time.

Get physical

Exercise each day for at least 30 minutes. Daily exercise improves a person's cardiovascular health, helps them maintain proper weight, and offers a plethora of additional health benefits. Along with exercise, ensure the activities you enjoy each day get you up and moving. The more active you are during the day, the sleepier you'll be when it hits bedtime.

Limit daytime naps

If you take a nap during the day, limit sleep to 30 minutes or less. Daytime naps often interfere with an individual's regular nighttime sleep schedule. By limiting daytime naps, you reduce the risks of interfering with the night time sleep schedule.

Final thoughts

While some working parents won't be able to indulge in the luxury of a full eight hours of rest, incorporating these nightly rituals into your routine can help you maximize your allotted sleep window. Reprioritize sleep in your self-care routine. Otherwise, you may experience adverse health side effects such as irritability, daytime fatigue, weakened immunity, etc.