10 Tips For All Incoming Freshman At Your College Orientation

10 Tips for All Incoming Freshman At Your College Orientation

The do's and do-not's for your first college experience.

40

We are quickly approaching college orientation season and, as someone who just went through their own orientation, I feel the need to bestow my knowledge upon you.

1. Don't over-pack.

Most college orientations take place over a couple days, meaning that you will most likely have to spend a night or two in a dorm. This doesn't mean you have to pack everything you own, however. Just pack the necessities because, trust me, you won't have time to lounge in the dorm or put on a full face of makeup every morning.

2. Wear walking shoes.

All of orientation is walking around campus. Between campus tours and team building, your feet will thank you greatly if you opt for a pair of walking shoes instead of flip flops.

3. Bring a backpack.

College orientation is code for "a lot of free college stuff." You'll get t-shirts, hats, handouts, folders, water bottles, candy, and pretty much anything else they can throw at you. It makes everything a lot easier if you have a backpack to throw everything into to free up your hands.

4. Bring a water bottle.

Although i was lucky enough to get a water bottle (I completely forgot to bring one), not everyone is that lucky. Since most college orientations take place in the summer, it will most likely be hot and the last thing you want to do is pass out in the middle of the tour. So, throw a water bottle in your backpack and try your best to remember to fill it up when you can.

5. Look on the school's website.

If your school has an overnight orientation, there is a good chance that they have a school packing list for your night. I would highly recommend that you stick to it. They know what they're talking about. They also might have a schedule of activities which is nice to know so you what to expect.

6. Don't bring a mattress pad.

Dorm beds aren't THAT bad, especially if you're only there for one night. You are already carrying a lot in and out and only have so much room in your bags, you don't want to have to worry about bringing a mattress pad in and out as well.

7. Listen and ask questions.

You are going to hear a lot of information in the short time that you are there. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification or dig a little deeper, write something down if you need to. Also, don't be afraid to ask other students questions; they were all in your shoes at one point and they probably have the answer you're looking for.

8. Talk to people.

As an introvert, being surrounded by a bunch of new people in a new place is a nightmare, but it ended up not being as bad as I thought it would be. Most of the other people there don't know anyone either, so they're all as clueless. Mention you like the band on someone's shirt, or talk to those with the same major; you may not find you new BFF, but it is nice to be somewhat friendly with some of the people you will be spending the next four years surrounded by.

9. Go to sleep.

The days are heavily packed and there is little chance of rest during those days, so I highly recommend trying to get a full night of sleep the night before and turning in somewhat early the nights that you are there.

10. Have RESPONSIBLE fun.

There's more than likely a lot of fun going on on campus, some of which are set up just for orientation. I recommend that THOSE are the ones you go to. Although you are technically in college now, they might have a late curfew and allow you to roam campus, but try to stay out of trouble. If they catch you at a party with drinks or just doing something that is wrong, they could end up removing you from the school.

Orientation is your first experience in your new school and it can be such a fun experience. So relax, soak it all up, and try and have (responsible( fun.