10 Tips About The Disney College Program

Brutally honest tips about how your DCP can go and how to help you through!

801
Samantha Nieboer

The year was 2016 and it was springtime. Shanghai was being built and people were going crazy. I was there for 4 months.

I was employed at Disney's Pop Century Resort as Quick Service Food & Beverage.

Here are some tips about after the program:

1. Be Positive!

Life is short and you shouldn't have to listen to negative people all the time. You need to be positive and happy, even if you are having a bad day, try to see the positive aspects.

2. Making magic for someone can not only brighten their day, but it can also brighten yours.

When you see a child smile or even a parent, you smile too. Smiling and laughing is definitely contagious.

3. Your sleep schedule is ruined.

Lets face it. Going to work from 7pm-1am really affects you. It still takes me until 1am to fall asleep and I have been done with the program since May.

4.Thrill rides are a must!

I must have rode Rockin' Roller Coaster, Everrest, and Tower of Terror thousands of times.

5. Don't be scared.

Meeting people can be scary, but everyone is new. People in the program are from all over the world and they are scared to. Don't be afraid to say, "hi".

6. Post DCP Depression is real.

I missed being able to play in the parks and go to Universal when I got back from Disney. It decided to snow on May 15 when I got back as well, which made me want to go back to Florida even more. I missed my roommates and friends, but I did make friends at Disney that went to the same college as me, so I can hang with them from time to time.

7. Long Distance Friendships are hard...

When school starts it's hard to stay in touch with people. Everyone is always so busy, but you still think about your friends from disney and miss them everyday!

8. THE FOOD!

Disney's food was so good! It was bad for you and expensive and I ended up with some cavities, but ya know, food! Mac 'n cheese, chicken nuggets, burgers, fries, and all the yummy food loaded with carbs that you can think of. Maybe do some workouts at ESPN to get rid of some of those calories.

9. It may be different than you'd expect!

Drama, drama, drama...at my work there was drama, which is never fun. I just ignored it and hung out with my roommates at the parks. The program was fun, but some of the people I met didn't mesh well together in my third party outsider opinion... So just make the best of it :)

10. Bring a car...

I brought my car because sometimes you need to get-a-way. I was able to go to Clearwater, Miami, Cocoa Beach, St. Pete's Beach, and Tampa. I also went to Universal and the many different malls around Orlando. Sometimes you just need a small break from Disney and need a beach day!

For me it was bittersweet. Pop was not what I imagined. I thought my coworkers and I would all get along and hangout after work, but not all of us became friends. There was drama and different cliques. But I learned how life works and I learned that it's not always magical because you have to create your own magic! If you think positive, others will too!

So if your program is not going how you expected, all you need to do is make the best of it. Try meeting new people, riding the bus, going to housing events, going to the parks alone and meeting people there, and try to branch out. There are more people out there besides your roommates and coworkers, you just got to meet them!

Best of luck on your DCP adventure! YOU GOT THIS!

<3 2016 Spring DCP Alumn