10 Times Cristina Yang Gave Great Advice For College Students

Quotes and advice from Dr. Cristina Yang of "Grey's Anatomy" to get you through the ups and downs of college life.
4041

1. "Oh, screw beautiful, I'm brilliant. If you want to appease me, compliment my brain. Pretty is not enough. I want to be great."

In movies and TV shows, college is mostly portrayed as hanging out on the quad and going to parties, but there is so much more to college life. It's a time to focus on what's important — schoolwork.

2. "If you want crappy things to stop happening to you, then stop accepting crap and demand something more."

In order for things to change, you have to take action. You have to take control of your life and make the decisions that will bring you happiness.

3. "Have some fire. Be unstoppable. Be a force of nature. Be better than anyone here, and don't give a damn what anyone thinks. There are no teams here, no buddies. You're on your own. Be on your own.

College can be cutthroat and competitive. You have to be strong, stand up for yourself and know what's best for you. Your best advocate is yourself.

4. "I can't go. We have to dance it out. That's how we finish."

Sometimes, what you need is to turn on your favorite song and just dance it out alone, or with a friend.

5. "You're my person. You will always be my person."

Find your person in college who can be your go-to for anything and everything. You can cry with them over bad grades, tell them exactly what is on your mind, but also be honest about everything with them. It is amazing how good it can feel to get things off of your chest.

6. "It'll hurt. Every time you think of her. But over time, it will hurt less and less. And eventually you'll remember her and it will only hurt a little."

Whether it's a friendship that didn't work out, a relationship that ended or a loved one that passed away, there's going to be some time in college when you lose someone. The hurt that you feel is inevitable, but it won't last forever.

7. "Don't let what he wants eclipse what you need. He's very dreamy, but he's not the sun. You are."

You may be in a relationship in college and that is great! But make sure you can realize when someone may be holding you back or keeping you from realizing your true potential.

8. "Whenever we think we know the future, even for a second, it changes."

You have choices in college. Those choices may seem frightening, whether it's about your major, class schedule, trying a new club or activity or even something like joining a sorority, but it's up to you to find the courage to make the choice.

9. "Find hope where there seems to be absolutely none at all."

There are periods of time or full semesters when it feels like there so much to do. You're at the library late into the night or early morning every day. You have assignment after assignment due back to back. It feels like you have exams every day. It feels like there is a never-ending stream of work and you feel hopeless. But there's always that shining ray of hope — maybe, just a glimmer of hope, but it's there. You have to find the positives in your situation and run with them. If Cristina Yang could do it, you can do it.

10. "If there's no food, I'm going home."

Food is an important part of college life. Treat it like it is. Relationships are built over meals in the dining halls, coffees at the campus coffee shop and trips to the Cup. Make the most of your times with friends and food.