10 Thoughts First-Semester Freshmen Always Think But Never Say Out Loud

I haven't been in college for too long, but I have quickly learned the ways of a life of a college student.

3478
jirka_matousek / Flickr

1. I'm tired.

I remember the good ol' days where I would sleep in until 12 p.m. every day. It was called Summer 2017. With 8 a.m.s and studying all night, naps are imperative in between classes. And when naps are not an option, you slowly become a coffee person to get through the day/week/month/semester.

2. I want to go home.

I want to be with my parents, see my friends, sleep in my bed, and drive my car. There is a certain comfort of being in your own home that's hard to find in college.

3. Why is the college wifi so bad?

You're about to turn in an assignment online, and your computer disconnects from the wifi. You would think that with all of the tuition and housing money you are paying, you would get wifi that stays connected.

4. This is pretty lonely.

The first month is very lonely, no matter how many people you're forced to be with. I met so many people during Welcome Week yet I remember none of them. It's quite depressing to realize that your whole hall is out and about while you're in your bed watching Netflix.

5. College is WAY too hard.

There are times I want to drop classes, there are times I want to change majors, and there are times when I just want to quit. You come up with not-so-practical ways to earn money without obtaining a college degree. Then you realize that isn't an option and go back to studying.

6. I miss my dog.

I always see dogs around campus but nothing makes me sadder than to realize my dog is still back home and has no idea where I am and what I'm doing. I can only hope he remembers me when I come back.

7. I can't eat at these dining halls anymore.

Going to a different state, in a small city, with no car, your food choices become limited. And by limited I mean you go to the best dining hall out of the 4 and tradeoff between the same 3 meals every day.

Without fail, you find yourself at the dining hall.

8. I'm changing my address to the library.

I honestly don't understand why I'm paying for housing and boarding if I spend a majority of the time in the library. I study in the library, I hang out with my friends in the library, I even eat dinner at the library. It happens.

9. Is this what adulthood is like?

I have to make my own decisions, I have to be responsible, and I can't cry and go to my mom every time I encounter a problem. I continue to do that regardless, just less.

10. Somehow, I'm still alive!

Between moving in, studying, going to class, taking care of yourself, and attempting to be social, at the end of the day (or sometimes 3 o'clock in the morning), you're still alive. And that's what truly matters.