10 Things You Know If You Are From Buchanan, Michigan

H-O-T-T-O-G-O the Buchanan Bucks are hot to go.

235
Gvn2Fly Photography & Imaging

The greatest little town ever exists in southwest lower Michigan. Buchanan, Michigan has been a home to some of the greatest teachers, coaches, students, athletes and overall people in general. If you grew up, graduated, or even visited Buchanan, I think we all can agree on the top 10 things from Buchanan.

1. Football games

If it is a fall Friday night, then you are almost guaranteed to be catching a football game at Memorial Field. You are there cheering on a son, nephew, cousin, brother, or friend. You bundle up the kids and set them free once you get into the stadium. They are to check in with you by halftime and are not allowed the leave the stadium. Then you head to the stands to find the perfect seat and catch up with old friends from high school, all while cheering on your favorite buck.

2. Thrill on the Hill

I mean what town shuts down the main drag for a weekend and allows the town to sled down the hill? Only the greatest town on Earth. Even though Thrill on the Hill hasn't been around for a long time, it sure has made an impact on the community. Families and friends are able to tube down the Hill, grab some hot chocolate, sit around a fire, or visit with Frosty. Everyone has their own memory associated with Thrill on the Hill.

3. Redbud

Everyone has a love-hate relationship with Redbud. To some, it is like Christmas, and to others they dread REDBUUUUD! Season. At some point in your life, you have made your way out to Redbud on Fourth of July weekend. Whether it be to watch the races or get belligerently drunk.

4. The Can Man

I know all of you guys know who I am talking about. The guy in the orange vest that walks up and down Niles-Buchanan road with his thumb up. Then when you don't stop, he flips you the bird and continues to yell at you. I think everyone at some point has had their own special encounter with him.

5. Hilltop Cafe

Whether it be Friday Night Fish or Sunday Morning Breakfast, at some point you will have eaten at Hilltop. There is a 99% chance that the waitress already knows your order. There is also a 99% chance you are going to run into someone you know, and end up having lunch together.

6. Clear Lake

You have been to either side of Clear Lake, Fuller’s or Ronnie’s. I grew up going to Ronnie’s but at some point, you have been out to Fuller’s. You rented a paddle boat and played sand volleyball. Only the bravest have made the swim across the lake and back.

7. The Herd

The Herd is also a fairly new amenity. But if you have been into the gym at BHS within the past four years, then you have noticed the State Champs banner displayed. Not only are the sports team pretty awesome, but the student section is the real kicker too. The Herd has been integrated into everyone's vocabulary. What other high school could get people to quit a sports team just so they could be apart of The Herd?

8. Lil Bucks

As a kid you lived for all the sports Buchanan offered, whether it be rocket football, lil bucks basketball, floor hockey, cheerleading, and little league softball or baseball. At some point, you and your kids have had your names displayed on the back of a Buchanan jersey. That nickname you earned from a coach has stuck with you all of these years. Nothing beats having the ones you love get the Buchanan Lil Bucks experience.

9. Gary Z’s Sub Shop

If you plan on getting a sub after 2:00 pm Monday-Thursday, then you won't be getting one from Gary Z’s. You know you have to make it there early to experience the greatest sub sandwich this side of the Mississippi. If you are lucky to make it there early you might even get a cup of soup or a brownie. You spent the majority of your lunch period stopping by and grabbing a sub.

10. The Pit Stop

Once you hit 18, the first place you went to buy cigarettes was The Pit Stop. This is also the place you hung around for the next couple years trying to get someone to buy you booze. Only to pay someone $20 and end up getting two tall cans of Milwaukee's Best. The Pit Stop was also the hang out during lunch breaks in high school. You'd run down the street and grab a drink and a bag of chips.