10 Things I Would Tell My College Self, As A Graduate

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

585
10 Things I Would Tell My  College Self, As A Graduate
Chrissy Beck

I graduated from Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi (Go 'Ders!) on December 12, 2015.

It was one of the most iconic and beautiful graduation ceremonies of all time--primarily because it was my only graduation ceremony ever (I didn't go to my high school graduation). That day ended an era of college fun, and I entered the enigmatic "real world" that we've all grown so accustomed to fearing. It's great . . . kind of.

I've been seeing a lot of posts about what people would tell themselves as a college freshman, but I think that for me, most of the advice I would give myself resonates through all semesters of college. My advice is not particularly tuned to the freshman year; it's transcendental, encapsulating my entire experience. I learned a lot in college--and I learned even more when I graduated. Whether you're a freshman or senior reading this, I hope it helps make college a little bit easier for you. It's a voyage of discovery; both self-discovery and discovery of the world around you. Here are a few things that I learned during my voyage:

1) Go to career fairs. This might be the most important tip out of everything I write from a fiscal perspective. When you graduate (or even the semester before), you will send out dozens upon dozens of applications. You might hear back from two. The problem with online applications is that they're so impersonal, and hundreds of other kids with qualifications just like yours are submitting for the exact same job. Career fairs give you an opportunity to set yourself apart in front of a hiring manager. Connecting with someone from a company you're interested in gives you an in; if they're not the guy who makes the hiring decision, they can at least put your application at the top of the pile on the desk of the person who does. Getting a job is 20% based on qualifications, and 80% based on connections. Take advantage of any connection you have. In marketing, we have a term for brands that have a "top of mind" effect--they have a way of ensuring that they're the first brands you think of when you consider a certain product (i.e., when you think tissues, you probably think Kleenex. Amusement park? Disney World.). You're marketing a brand when you apply for a job--yourself. Market that brand to the people who can influence the decision makers, and make sure you're at the top of their mind. A great way to do this is by attending your career fairs and connecting with important people at the company you want to work for.

2) Academic acceleration programs are often a waste of time. It's great if you want to be a part of a community that inspires academic excellence. But, more often than not, you'll end up meeting extremely competitive, cutthroat people who will sooner spread rumors behind your back than actually challenge you to be better. I experienced some amazing classes in Honors that allowed me to expand my education in a way I couldn't have without the program (Honors Ethics changed the way I look at the world, as did every other Honors class that I took), but I'm not sure I would do it again if I had to. The overarching theme of my Honors experience was jealousy: liars within my group who resented the achievers, and would do anything to justify their inactivity and make themselves look better. I knew one girl who was incredible; she got into an amazing post-graduate university and made a 4.0 in college, all the while graduating early. All the Honors people did was abuse her because they resented her success. She deserved so much better than that. Here's how I'd break it down: if you know how to find your niche and remain quiet, or you're really good at being the most lovable person in a room, then maybe Honors will be a good experience for you. But if you're a high-achieving, driven individual who just wants to do well and be left alone... Go to a harder school, pick a harder major, and find good people along the way who challenge you. Don't waste time in organized pettiness. (With all of that being said, I also met some amazing people in Honors. But that's like everything in life--there's good, even within the bad).

3) Your friends will change every year, so be pliable. This means a lot of things; yes, you'll drift apart from your freshman BFF who lives next door to you. But that girl you hated your sophomore year might be the person you respect the most by graduation. That's exactly what happened to me--and I'm so glad I had an open enough mind to accept the changing roles people had in my life. Likewise, your best friend your sophomore year might be someone you defriend on Facebook as soon as you graduate. You're going to be surprised by the amount of people who gossip about you when you're not around--and they will often lie about those who don't just to keep you away from them. Be wary of manipulative people, and always give second chances to those you might not have gotten along with in the first place. They'll surprise you.

4) Find your rock, and cling to it. For me, that rock was, and is, Jesus Christ. The only thing that got me through college was my faith. I went through a dark depression that had me considering suicide my freshman year, and the only thing that saved me from this was Jesus. I finally learned how to let my faith define me, rather than attempting to let other people define who I was. That rock, that thing you choose to hold onto, is what's going to be your one steady in four years of change. Do not think you can get through college without it. A ship without an anchor can be tossed off course by the smallest of waves. My challenges in college nearly broke me, but in Christ I found an anchor to cling to in the middle of the storm. I don't want to think about where I'd be, or what I would have resorted to, had I not been saved by His Grace. I tried for so long to make my rock be the people around me. But if you cling to people as the saving grace that will keep you sane, you'll go insane in record time. Discover a Greater Purpose, and find that faith that keeps you safe.

5, 6) Explore all your options. I mean this in every way. You don't have to be in a committed relationship in college--so many people don't meet their spouse between the ages of 18 and 22. Are there two cute guys in your class that are interested in you? Date them both. No one said you had to pick your soulmate this early on. Plus, dating is a ton of fun. You get a feel for what your romantic tastes are, and by the time the right person really does come around (whether you're 19 or you're 30), you're sure of who you are, what you want, and how they fit into your life. Just make sure you know your boundaries. I dated my fair share, but I never kissed any of the guys I went out with. I didn't have my first kiss until I was 22 years old because that was the first time I realized I actually loved someone. Have fun getting to know people and figuring out what it is you like, but don't give too many pieces of yourself away, lest you find you are unable to retrieve them.

Continuing from the above, take whatever class sounds interesting. I almost got a dance minor in college because I had so many hours of dance classes--jazz, modern, dance performance. I loved every minute of those classes. There's so much more that I wish I had done. I wish I had taken a creative writing class. I wish I had taken a music production class. Universities are filled with endless opportunities open for you to explore, and it's worth loading up on some summer classes just so that you have the room during the semester to indulge in a "passion project." What do you love? Maybe it will forever remain a hobby, but maybe that one class in Intro to Piano will forever instill in you a fiery passion for music. Maybe that Acting I class is what you attribute your Oscar winning performance to one day. Dare yourself to try new and exciting things; be brave enough to explore what has always intrigued you. Above all else, challenge yourself to find your passion. Life is lived far more beautifully when you love something with an irrevocable devotion. What makes you cry for the love of it? Chase that.

7) STUDY ABROAD. My school had a study-abroad program in Germany, and I found a thousand excuses not to go ("it will throw me off my graduation track") despite very much wanting to participate. I could have graduated a semester later, which still would have been a year early, and experienced an entire semester in Europe. I wish I had taken the opportunity, because I'll never get that kind of chance again. Marcel Proust once said, "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Yes, there's a beauty to seeing London in the fall. But more than that, you hear the stories of people from different walks of life, different worlds. You learn to step outside of yourself and see the world through the scope of another person. Above all else, your empathy grows. You learn to love on people where they're at, and you grow in understanding with every bit of their story. When we learn to understand where another person is coming from, regardless of race, culture and religion, we become far more loving people. And that's when we can do great things.

8) Talk to everyone, especially your professors. Say hello to your Starbucks baristas (mine were named Jamar and Justin, and I'm so glad I got the privilege of knowing such fun, lovable people). Visit your favorite professor's office hours and just chat with them. I have eternal relationships with some of my favorite professors because I sat in their offices for hours, learning from them. I can honestly say that at least four professors at my university changed my life (shout out to Dr. Sherman, Dr. Etheridge, Mrs. DeLatte and Dr. Byus. Thank you for what you did for me). There's an old proverb about the wisdom of those older than you. The experiences they have will inspire you, and they will take the time to pour into your life and do what they can to help you succeed. Glean from the fountains of their knowledge. Your professors are your biggest advocates in college; if you work to show them your interest and dedication to their class, they will do just about anything to make sure you get every opportunity possible. They will invest in your emotional health, your academic success and they'll do what they can to further your career options. Give 'em a little love, and they'll give you a LOT.

9) Don't overthink grades. I made a 3.8 in college, and while I'm proud of the work I did, I find myself constantly wishing that number was a 4.0. If you worked hard enough to earn a great GPA, don't deny yourself a healthy amount of pride. But remember that there is ALWAYS room for improvement. On the flip side, who cares if you're a few points from perfection? The experiences I had in college were so worth the two-point deficit I indulged in. Would summa cum laude have felt wonderful? Absolutely. But the people I got to know and the organizations I got to participate in were worth more to me than that title was. Know what your priorities and limitations are. Work hard, and don't beat yourself up if you don't achieve your goal on the first try. You've got four years to get it all right.

10) Make the most of where you land. I didn't get in to the university I wanted to go to, despite working very hard in high school. I was furiously bitter for the first year of college at what I considered my "backup plan." Now, I wouldn't change where I went. I graduated debt-free because the school I got into invested in me with scholarships--scholarships I would not have received, had I gotten into my first choice university. The college I ended up at was a small pond, but I got the opportunity to be a big fish there. I was given opportunities simply because I asked for them. When you go to a smaller school, people want to help you. Ambitious people are rewarded. The larger your pond, the more fish are competing with you. I'm not saying you shouldn't try to get into your dream college (mine was The University of Texas, which is a 50,000+ student campus); but if you don't make it, have a blast where you are and find unconventional opportunities that your fellow students have not yet explored. I got to be a student columnist with our athletic department--because I worked for the student-run paper my freshman year and established a friendship with the information directors in the athletic department. I was the student marketing liaison for the baseball team--because I walked up to the coach and asked to be a part of the program, and he said yes without hesitation. If I had gone to a big state school, I would have been laughed at for those requests, or at the very least competing with a dozen other students for the opportunity. To make it simple: find opportunities everywhere you go. You'll have fun, I promise.

This is for you: the dreamer. The overachiever. The confused delinquent. The one who drinks too much and parties every night. You still have a chance to change things, to reach for what you want. So grasp that goal and hold onto it; work day and night for it. Above all else, believe in yourself.

And people will start to believe in you.