The 10 Inevitable Experiences All Retail Workers Know All Too Well

Your day isn't complete if one of these didn't happen to you yet.

26
Thomas Hawk / Flickr

Every day at work is always an experience when you work in retail. Whether it be an out of control customer or simply just a hectic day, you'll always have a story to tell from work. For everyone who does work in retail, here's a list you surely can relate to.

1. When the playlist that plays over the radio finally gets switched up...

It's always an exciting time when the same dull, overplayed music that usually gets played gets switched up to a newer playlist. Well, until that playlist then gets played every single day. But you still get to appreciate the few short weeks when the playlist is still exciting.

2. "Do you work here?"

Do I really need to even say anything? Even as an overused example of working in retail, it brings nothing but anger in your mind. Thinking of a way to politely ask a question is rough, but clearly, I work here.

3. When they recognize your face...

To go along with number two, nothing is scarier when the customers know your face. Even when you're off the clock, work shirt off, and simply shopping. They'll still ask you questions, or even address you by your name. At first, it's flattering, but then it sets in. The one scary question, "have I really worked here that long?"

4. "I'm on break!"

Everything always goes down when you clock in on break.

"Why didn't you do ___?"
"I'm on/was on break!"
Sooner than later, you learn that the excuse that you're on break will never be enough.

5. The customer service voice

"Hello, how are you today?" "Have a great day!" "-insert very bad joke to ease tension-"
My customer service voice has become my default stranger voice. Some people just assume I'm an overly nice, polite person. But usually, strangers see right through it. They know.

6. When everything goes down in your department, and you're the only one working.

Everything goes down on the night shift. Especially when you're the only person that's working that night. Whether it's the door breaking or the register ringing up $15,000 worth of meat that no one ordered (Yes, both of these have happened to me, as I'm the only one working in my department...), it's always a life or death situation. Someone has to fix it.

7. That customer that comes right as you're closing up.

You selected a 10 a.m. pick-up, but are coming in at 7:55 p.m.? Cool! That's alright, man! Not like I already had everything ready to leave or anything!

8. When you get a shift with your favorite co-worker

Your favorite co-worker soon becomes a best friend. Working without them almost feels wrong. Who else is there to hear your rants about a former love or an insane customer? A day at work isn't a day at work without your favorite co-worker.

9. Answering the phone calls.

"Are you going to get that?"
Answering the phone can either be the highlight or the downfall of your day in retail. Will it be a super simple call or a screaming customer? You'll never know. That's the fun part.

10. The infamous "WTF?!" moment.

I saved the best for last. The "WTF?!" moments are what makes working in retail so amusing. Whether it's finding watermelons hidden behind two rows of saltine cracker boxes, finding an entire row of Arizona Iced Teas in the wrong aisle, having a nude customer run throughout the store, or even have half eaten sandwiches in the baby aisle. Retail is truly never boring. The "WTF?!" moments give you stories to talk about forever.

At the end of the day, while retail may be a painstaking job filled with annoyances and people who test my kindness, I'll forever cherish the memories that come with it, along with all the friends I made along the way.