10 Futuristic Inventions We All Wish Existed Right Now

Most things would run smoother if they worked the way they did in my head.

1699
Scientific Women

Hello, potential scientist. I am so glad you stumbled upon my Odyssey article today. My name is Shanell Peterson, and there are a number of things I would deeply appreciate if you invented. They are as follows:

1. A teleportation device.

Transportation is my least favorite part of life. I want a teleportation device that takes me places instantly. It doesn’t have to be all that advanced. I’d be fine with just having the option to teleport to the places I frequent, like school or the store, rather than full-on different countries. (Although, I wouldn't mind if I could do that either...)

2. Fairies.

This doesn’t have any productive use, but I want fairies to be real. I want them to stay elusive, but if you venture out far enough on your own, I want them to come to you. I also want them to be friendly and sparkly and small. It would just give wonder and excitement to the world, you know?

3. A self-sufficient fridge.

Cooking is fine. It’s the grocery shopping that’s a pain. I want a fridge that stocks itself. Additionally, I want it to be able to throw out any spoiled foods and replace them with fresh products. It should also clean itself. (Pretty please?)

4. Food-prolonging seasoning.

Speaking of spoiled foods, I want to sprinkle a magic seasoning on foods like strawberries and bread so they stay fresh longer. Food goes bad so quickly. It is the one part of adulthood that I wasn’t ready for. How is it possible to eat bananas before at least one of them goes bad?!

5. Thought-to-food manifester.

This is slightly unrealistic, but I want to just think about food and have it appear in front of me, ready to go. If this form of technology did exist, I am sure it would be very expensive, so I wouldn’t use it all the time--just when I was really hangry/lazy/in a hurry.

6. A virtual purse.

I never want to carry things. I want a virtual purse implanted in my arm. In one touch, I would have access to a cell phone and my debit card. If I’m cold, I’ll pull a real coat out of seemingly nowhere--same would go for a bottle of water or some chapstick. I definitely don’t think our society could handle this incredible form of technology, but I most certainly can.

7. A choose-your-own weather option.

I want everyone in an area to vote for the kind of weather they want. Then, I want the skies to magically make it so. Weather should definitely be a democracy since it impacts our daily lives so often. (I think we'd have a lot more sunny days if we could do this.)

8. A super fast, super inexpensive, super obvious GPS ("Super GPS" for short).

I don’t want to pull out my phone, turn on data, and struggle to figure out if I should go right or left at the next corner. I want a mega fast GPS that literally points real-life, giant 3D arrows in the correct direction so I don’t have to think about it. And I want it to be inexpensive because ain’t no way can I afford something like that if it actually existed.

9. A social interaction gage.

I want to be like a Sim and see how well my social interactions are going. Little plus and minuses should spew from people’s heads. A little bar at the bottom of my friend would be able to tell me how much said person likes me. Additionally, this gauge would give me a list of go-to subjects that would allow me to get a good conversation going.

10. A crystal ball.

This isn’t particularly original, but I want a crystal ball to tell me the future. I want to tell it a decision I’m considering and have it play the scenario of how that decision would affect my life. This would save so much time and a whole lot of hassle.

11. A read-to-me button.

I think I would actually attempt to absorb the information in my college textbooks if I could press a button wherever I am and listen to someone read it to me. And I want it to be loud enough for me to hear, but not loud enough to bother others around me. It should also feature a normal, easy-to-understand voice--none of that monotone, drone-y stuff.

Obviously those are only 10 inventions that I wish existed. I could probably go all day listing the things that would make my life easier (like a sleep timer built inside your body you could set yourself). But, alas, life doesn’t work the way it does in my head. I’ll just be going about my life “normally” until you, dear scientist, find a way to fulfill my needs. Thank you for your time.