10 Things I Want My Best Friend Away At School To Know

"You're my person. You will always be my person."

92
Samantha Melvin

When you’re in high school you get used to seeing the same faces every single day in the hallways. You eventually get into a habit of knowing who you’re going to see and start to form close bonds with these people. Once you graduate, everyone begins to go their separate ways and some of these bonds break. You start to realize that you were only close with certain people because you saw them every day. One bond that I know I will never lose is the one I have with my best friend.

Now that you’re five hours away at school I had to adjust my life a little bit. I had to get out of the habit of seeing you every single day and coming to your locker to tell you about the most current drama in my life. I had to get used to the fact that you were no longer a 15-minute car ride away and that my Friday nights will no longer consist of buffalo chicken dip, "Grey's Anatomy," dance parties and heart to hearts. But, just because you are away at school doesn’t mean that the friendship I have with you will change.

Here are some things I want you to know:

1. I cheer you on from home.

Even though I cant be there for the new accomplishments you achieve at school, I just want you to know that I am cheering you on from home and I am just as excited for you as you are (maybe even more).

2. I talk about you all the time.

Just because we no longer go to the same school anymore and we don’t see each other as frequently doesn’t mean that my friends at school don’t know about you. I talk about you every chance I get and my friends almost feel like they know you (if you happen to get any Facebook requests from random people you don’t know, its probably my friends from school).

3. I miss our Friday night dance parties & movie nights.

It sucks that I can't just drive over to your house whenever I want to hang out with you and your family (that doesn’t stop me from going over anyway to hang with your mom and dogs), but it makes these nights so much more special when you come home. Now we will have way more to talk about during our heart to hearts and we will appreciate them more.

4. I hope you're having the time of your life.

I hope that college is giving you all the experiences you hope for and that you’re enjoying yourself. I hope that you’re making good friends that can watch out for you since I cant be there to (but make sure they know I’M your best friend).

5. I can't wait to come visit.

I can’t wait to come and visit you and see everything that you’ve been doing at school. I’m also really excited to meet the new friends you’ve made.

6. I love our video chat dates.

I know that it is hard sometimes for us to find time to actually sit down and talk on the phone or video chat, but when we do it is my favorite thing to do. I love catching up with you and hearing about what is going on in your life and I love telling you all about what’s going on in mine. Even though sometimes I may be drowning in homework or I’m too busy to video chat or call, that doesn’t mean that I’ve forgotten about you or that you’re any less important to me.

7. You can still come to me for advice.

I know that since we don’t see each other as often as we used to, so it is sometimes hard to tell each other about all the drama we have in our life. But I just want you to know that I will ALWAYS be here for you whenever you need me and you can come to me with anything you need advice on just like you always did before you went away to school. I’m only a phone call away.

8. Thank you for always being here for me even from miles away.

This past year I have went through so many changes and heart break in my life and I just want to thank you for always being there for me. Those text messages, phone calls, and care packages from you just checking in on me and reminding me to keep my head up meant the world and I appreciate you more than you know. I couldn’t of gotten through all of it without you.

9. I miss you.

I know that I say it all the time, but I MISS YOU. It sucks not having my best friend at home anymore and I wish that you could be here, but I know that you are getting all of the knowledge and experience you need for your future and I couldn’t be more excited for you.

10. You'll always be my best friend.

I know that each of us have already met new people and made new friends and we are going to continue doing that, but just know that no one can ever take the place of you. You will ALWAYS be my best friend. You’re going to be the one my kids will call “Aunt”, the one who will be a crazy dog lady with me and the one who will still jam out to our favorite songs even when we are 80. You’re my person and you will always be my person.