10 Wishes To My Roommate As She Graduates

Hats off to you, my friend.

1822
Author's photo

Well, it's that time of year. All of the college graduates are getting ready to graduate from their program and embark on their job-hunt journey, or prepare for their internships. Well roomate, you are one of those graduates and I can't wait to see all that you will succeed at. However, before you go and leave 900B and I, there are a few things I wish you to know.

1. You will get that job.

It's no secret that you are a hard worker. We had conflicting schedules where I would be heading out for rehearsals or all-nighter study events, and you would just be getting in from one of your jobs, only to head out to another. Your work ethic is impressive, your drive is remarkable, and your professionalism is like none other. With all of these qualities, you'll find a job in no time.

2. Don't settle for less.

You have spent the last four years busting your tail, drinking countless cans of Redbull, and trying your absolute hardest. You deserve nothing but the absolute best that can be offered. I hope you never settle, but decide with determination.

3. Remember your successes on the days you feel beaten.

Remember when you did really well at your presentation in New York and the feeling of pride you carried for days. Remember when you turned in your 50 page thesis paper and the feeling of stress that was instantly relieved. Finally, remember the feeling of liberation as you walked out of your last college final ever. There will be days when you have to recall these feelings because I have been told, the real world sucks.

4. Take pictures.

You already have a keen sense of photography skills, put them to even more use. Document your first day of work and the tall building that looks like it will touch the sky. Capture your first apartment or house and keep it to remember. Freeze your graduation day in a picture so that you can always remember the feeling of victory as you received your diploma from a four year University.

5. Remember that life isn't too different from college.

I mean, if you think about it, its just a more difficult version of the institution you just graduated from. You will make new friends and new enemies. You will begin new journeys and create new memories. There will be new victories to celebrate and defeats to grieve. You've had the practice run, now it's time for the real thing. Just remember that you've got this.

6. You have people to fall back on.

You are extremely strong-willed and heard-headed. These are qualities that everyone has grown to love about you. However, if things were to ever go pear-shaped, you have friends and family that will always help build you back on. You always have a net of support there to catch you if you ever fall.

7. You can overcome more than you know.

You've overcame challenging professors, parking services, over-priced textbooks, and managed to balance school on top of both of your demanding jobs. All I can say is you have dealt with your fair share of challenges this year, and I feel that you are truly prepared to take on whatever comes your way.

8. Make this next chapter count.

You've been creating and concluding chapters of your "Life Book" since you can remember. This next chapter is going to an important one so, make it memorable and make it count.

9. Keep working hard.

Your degree got you to this place, but your hard work will get you even farther. I can't wait to see all of the places you will go.

10. Congrats.

Finally, I can say congratulations to you. You have graduated and you are getting ready to move out, and I am extremely proud of all you have accomplished. Go out, kick butt, take names, and stay Rad.

Hats off to you and all you have/will succeed in.