10 Things To Do in Salem This Halloween

10 Things To Do in Salem This Halloween

The spookiest, scariest museums, carnivals, and haunted houses you'll find are all in Salem, Massachusetts!
3175

Since I am going to school at Salem State University this year I thought I should post about some of the events in Salem that happen around Halloween in Salem, MA. There are a lot of different haunted houses, tours, carnivals, and other activities that would be fun for everyone! Just be warned, the town has been acting like it was Halloween since October 1! It should be a great time so here are some things you could do if you chose to come to Salem, MA this year for Halloween!

Chambers of Terror

This is a haunted house you can walk through that has demons, ghouls, clowns, and many other scary creatures. It was created by professionals with over 20 years of experience in the Halloween industry. In this haunted house it is Halloween all year round and the scares never stop!

Salem Time Machine

This tour includes a 4-D exploration into Salem's past, a 4-D haunted house, and a 4-D haunted adventure. The 4-D exploration into Salem's past includes 10 rooms that are 4-D that you wear 3-D glasses to see. You can learn about Salem through the years, mainly from 1600-1991 and learn how the Puritans lived throughout that time. In the 4-D haunted house there are 3-D and 4-D decorations and creatures who will scare you, it is said to be the best haunted house in Salem! The 4-D haunted adventure is basically a time traveling experience with eye-popping special effects that isn't as scary as some other things you could go to in Salem.

Salem Witch Trials Memorial

This memorial was created by Maggie Smith and James Cutler who won a design competition. They were inspired by the Vietnam Memorial and there are benches surrounding the area that have the names of the people who died and what they were accused of inscribed on them. Fourteen women and six men were hung for being affiliated with witchcraft. This part of Salem's history is so important to learn about because it shows us how far we have come as a society.

Frankenstein's Castle

This new attraction has been inspired by the new phase of horror literature that has come about in the last couple years. It is located in the dungeon of the Salem Wax Museum where you make your way through the dark, creepy hallways until you get to the creation of the monster. May be too scary for young children but it would entertain anyone interested in Dr. Frankenstein and his monster.

Annual Psychic Fair and Witchcraft Expo

You can learn all about your future in the longest running psychic fair. Things that will be there include tarot card readings, clairvoyant vision, spirit mediumship, palm readings, angels and spirit guides, and past life readings. There is really something for everyone and the time to look into all of that stuff is around Halloween when there are spooky, spiritual things happening all the time!

Salem Carnival

Like any carnival, this includes rides, snacks, and the works but it is during Halloween! The fun never ends and this is one of the attractions that children will definitely have fun at! The whole family can go and enjoy the great food and attractions that will be offered to you there!

The House of Seven Gables

This premiere historic sight is located on the Harbor and you can discover hundreds of years of Salem history through the museum and historic buildings. This museum is also in the National Historic Landmark District. The House of Seven Gables, also known as the Turner-Ingersoll Mansion is home to many different stories and you will even find a hidden staircase! The Nathan Hawthorne novel by the same name was inspired by this house and the stories that come with it.

Peabody Essex Museum

This museum is full of art from all different cultures and time periods and located right in Downtown Salem! There are sections for Chinese art, many different Native American tribes have their art portrayed there, and there is even an area where children can make their own art. They have a beautiful skylight over most of the middle of the museum that lights the whole building and makes it look even bigger than it is. The area in the middle where you can eat lunch and look at the art simultaneously is absolutely beautiful so I would definitely recommend going here, if not at Halloween, then any time you get the chance to!

Salem in 1630: Pioneer Village

This tour of the 160 Pioneer Village of Salem teaches people about how the Puritans lived in the 1600's. There are examples of how men, women and children of this time would have acted and how they would have gone through their normal daily routine. It was built in 1930 and is America's first living history museum and includes many examples of colonial agriculture and architecture.

Salem Witch Museum

This museum makes the twenty people who died in 1692 real and shares their stories like you've never heard before. If you are interested in the witchcraft and hangings that happened in 1692 then this would be the place for you! They take you through history and teach you about how these people got accused and what happened to them as a result of your actions.

Any of these attractions will leave you knowing more about Salem, witchcraft, and New England history than you did before so you can't go wrong with any of them. If you are planning to come to Salem this Halloween have fun and have a spooky time in the City of the Witches!