10 Things That Happen When You Move In With Your Best Friend

As told by celebrity best friends Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez.

182
Entertainment Tonight

Although some best friends agree that although they love each other, they could never live together, sometimes your best friend is your perfect match for a roommate. Here are ten things that happen when you move in with your best friend.

1. You’re so happy to be living together!

The day that you and your best friend move in together is a very happy day. You hang up your very own whiteboard, and maybe even bunk your beds. You're thrilled to call each other "roomies!" and many others are disgusted. You help each other set up the room and decorate. You both are excited to invite your friends over to see the new room.

2. You stay up way too late talking.

Now that you’re living together, you can spend every waking moment together- even more than you did before! Nights in the dorm are your favorite because whether you’re swapping secrets or just talking about the long days you both had, you never run out of things to talk about. Before you know it, it’s 1 AM and you both have an 8:30 AM class. You both climb into bed and say goodnight to your "roomie." While scrolling on your phone before bed, you giggle and show each other funny Vines or cute puppy videos until one of you falls asleep.

3. You borrow each other’s clothes.

And she always looks better in your clothes than you do.

Not only is “mi casa, su casa,” for two best friends who move into together, “your closet is my closet.” When my best friend and I moved into together, we adopted a “what’s mine is yours” policy. Right away, we started borrowing each other’s clothes, as well as helping each other coordinate weather-appropriate outfits in the morning (it's always a toss-up in New England.) When she can’t find a sweater to match her outfit, you’re there to provide one of her own that looks great on her. And when you have "absolutely nothing" to wear out that night, she pulls out the cutest one-piece you've ever seen, and insists you keep it. But it doesn't matter, because you wear each other's clothes constantly anyway.

4. And eat each other’s snacks.

When you’re craving chocolate, your best friend is there with your favorite candy bar. And when she’s craving something salty while reading for class, you give her your pretzel stash. Especially when studying, you two are always sharing each other’s snacks. You also take turns buying pizza for the two of you when you both are too lazy to walk to the dining hall, especially when a night in together is all you need.

5. You get each other wake up in the morning and get out the door on time.

But when being on time is clearly impossible, she’ll be late with you.

When your best friend is sleeping through her alarm, you are always there to wake her up. And when you are having trouble getting up at 7 AM, she won't hesitate to jump on your bed to wake you up. You always have each other’s backs when it comes to getting up in the morning, as well as keeping on top of day-to-day things. She’s there to remind you that your morning class got cancelled, and you’re there to remind her when she has a meeting with her advisor at 2. And when you both take a class together, you remind each other of assignments and upcoming tests. You help each other out no matter what.

6. You share beauty secrets.

“What kind of eyeshadow is that? I love it!”

“How do you get your eyebrows to look like that? Teach me your ways.”

“Your perfume smells awesome; what is it?”

Because you live together, you see each other getting ready. You notice the process of your best friend doing her hair and makeup in the morning, and aren’t afraid to ask questions. Soon enough you’re giving each other narrated tutorials on how you curl your hair or apply your eyeliner. You learn from each other.

7. You get to know each other’s schedules.

You both know when the other tends to shower, take naps, eat, go to bed, and everything else in between. Because you live together, you notice patterns in your best friend’s day-to-day life. You can check the time and know exactly what she is doing. Sometimes, you even know her schedule better than she does. You have to wake her up from her nap and tell her to go to practice because she completely forgot. But you don't mind.

8. You start a television show together.

Now that you’re living together, you’re ready for the next step in your friendship: starting a television show together. Every week when the new episode comes out, you both put on your pajamas, order pizza, and watch your show. And it is a sin for either of you to watch an episode without the other. Watching a television show together is a commitment that as roommates you maintain, and take very seriously. You always look forward to watching it. You cry and laugh together over what happens on the show, and it helps you bond.

9. You leave each other notes.

Why send a text alerting your best friend of your whereabouts when you can leave her a cute note on a pink Post-it on her desk for her to find when she gets home? There’s something sweet and sentimental about leaving handwritten notes for each other. Plus, it’s always nice to find a surprise note from your best friend. But, if you come home and she's not there (and you know she's not in class or at practice), and there's no note or text message, you immediately pick up the phone and call her to ask where she is and make sure she's okay. Because you love her.

10. You become closer than ever.

No matter how close two best friends may be, you get infinitely closer when you live together. In fact, you can’t get any closer than that. Your friendship deepens in ways you didn’t even know were possible. You thought you were best friends before, but as roommates, you become truly inseparable. You love each other even more than you did before! Who knew?