10 Things That Are Too Real When Your Roommate Is Never There

"No Roommate? Cool!" Except not really.

1608

I've been in college for about a month. There's a lot that you can expect to get out of your college experience - learning how to live with someone else that isn't a member of your family, being on your own for the first time, and truly being an independent person. When I got to Trinity, I certainly wasn't expecting to be completely alone. All of my friends on campus have roommates and so do I, but the difference is that mine travels home every night. I see her maybe once a week if I see her at all. I won't talk about why, because that's her story to tell, but I will talk about how it affects me, a 17 year old girl on her own for the first time. If this situation reflects your college experience so far, here's what you need to know and how to make the best out of your college experience:

1.) It's really lonely

It's really difficult being alone in college, especially during your first year. You think you're going to want the space, but coming from someone who has it, it's not always a good thing. I constantly wish I had someone who lived with me to talk to about classes, how I'm feeling about things, and just life in general. It makes you feel like you really are completely on your own, instead of going through it with someone else.

2.) Friends are important

Watching Friends is extremely important for your success in college. But really, all jokes aside, finding new friends, especially if you're lacking a roommate, is really important. They'll help you get through those hard nights where you don't want to be alone and make sure you're okay by yourself. Plus, sleepovers are way comfier when you have an extra bed.

3.) It's okay to be upset

If you're like me, you might be feeling conflicted about how to feel about the situation. It is okay to be upset that you don't have a roommate. For a while I didn't feel like it was, but I now know that being upset isn't the same thing as being angry, and wishing for a different situation is completely okay, too.

4.) Talk to your Resident Mentor/Resident Advisor!

My RM is awesome and has totally helped me transition into college life. We've had long talks about everything, including my roommate situation (but mostly about food and TV shows). They're here to help you, so don't be afraid to reach out to them when you're not feeling good about something.

5.) Get active on campus

Don't do TOO much, but find something fun to do on campus that gets you out of your dorm. While it's important to not be at your dorm all the time anyway, it's even more important for those of us who lack a roommate. Go to sporting events, join a club, rush a sorority or fraternity, but don't isolate yourself. Join something that gets your mind off things and helps you make new friends.

6.) Host get-togethers in your room

Something that really helped me when I felt lonely was filling my room with friends. Seeing people besides just you in your room can actually be really comforting, and also it gives you an excuse to actually clean up.

7.) Explore your new city!

Get to know your new city. Thankfully, living in San Antonio, there are plenty of new things to do and see, and the beautiful hill country is only an hour away. It's really important to grab your friends and do things off campus as well.

8.) Talk to your family

It may seem lame because we're in college now, but talking to your family is really helpful. They've been to college before and know how to help, even if they haven't been in your exact situation.

9.) Personalize your room

Here's a picture of me in my dorm. Make your room feel as close to your room at home as possible. I know I will remember things that made me feel good at home and see if I can find something similar and order them online and have them shipped to me or if my mom still has them to bring to school. Feeling comfortable in your space makes things a lot easier.

10.) Go home!

This is easier if you live close to your school, but it is okay to go home or visit a family member that lives close! I try to have dinner with my uncle who lives in town at least every other week, and I see my grandparents almost every weekend. Being around people is never a bad idea, especially the ones that love you the most.