10 Lessons Learned From SpongeBob Characters

Wisdom doesn't always come from philosophy books.

531

Us SpongeBob fans have heard it all before.

”SpongeBob rots your brain!”
“It’s just so stupid, why do you watch it?
“I would rather stare at the ceiling than watch that junk.”

Well let me tell you, I am an avid "SpongeBob SquarePants" fan, and I think I came out somewhat functional. In fact, I actually learned a couple of important lessons from every character in this show.

1. Everyone’s a critic.

There’s always going to be someone that will not appreciate what you do and how you do it. Squidward taught us that you should ignore the destructive criticism of others and just do you!

2. Stay loyal to your friends.

Even though he may seem like an absolute idiot, Patrick is the most trustworthy friend you could ask for. He absolutely loves his friends and would do anything for them. What more could you ask for in a friend?

3. Embrace your differences and accept others.

Even though Sandy is a squirrel living under the sea, she proves that being different is nothing to be ashamed of.

4. What you do with your money matters.

Although he’s the greediest and cheapest crab you’ll ever know, Mr. Krabs knows that all his monetary success comes from the hard work put in to his very successful business, The Krusty Krab.

5. We don’t always get what we want.

Pearl has been spoiled by her father for way too long. However, once Mr. Krabs cuts her off she learns the importance of making money and teamwork.

6. Fighting for the wrong cause may not result in anything.

Plankton spent most of his life trying to steal Mr. Krabs’ precious Krabby Patty formula. He tried absolutely everything. So, the biggest thing Plankton taught me was that sometimes things just don’t work out the way we want to.

7. Meow meow meow meow meow.

Translation: Appreciate those who take care of you, because you never know when they might not be there anymore.

8. Patience is the key to succeed in the things we do.

Mrs. Puff loves her job, but she is faced with a particular student that makes her job a living hell. She proves that, with the right amount of patience, you can love even the obstacles that come up along your path.

9. As long as you do what you love, you’ll have a fun and happy life.

SpongeBob spends all his time working down at The Krusty Krab, and he absolutely loves it. Some may say he has no ambition, but I think that, once you find that place where you belong, you don’t need anything else.

10. Express yourself, and you’ll become a star.

This guy is one of the most popular characters in the entire show because of his classic cameos. He’s taught me that you don’t always have to be in the spotlight to be successful. Sometimes you just have to say the right things to be remembered forever.