10 Things To Remember To Pack For Winter Break

The ultimate checklist to help you remember all the essentials

298
Travel + Leisure

Winter break is almost here (finally) and if you're anything like me, you're probably starting to stress about what to bring home with you. Have no fear, I'm here to help you remember all the essentials before you rush out to make your plane, train, or car ride home.

1. Chargers

Let's face it, we're all pretty dependent on our electronics. Whether its your phone, laptop, smart watch, or tablet, it has a charger that you need to remember to pack. Dedicate a pouch of your suitcase or bag that's easily accessible to hold all of your chargers so you can quickly access them without needing to dig through piles of your clothes.

2. Clothes to Leave at Home

Whether you're going to school somewhere cold or warm, you probably overpacked clothes when you moved in. So toss in that sundress that was cute when it was 80 degrees everyday, but isn't so practical for a New England winter. Go through your closet or drawers, and if you haven't worn it since move in, its probably a safe bet that you don't need it taking up space in your shoebox-sized room.

3. Your Fish

If you have a pet in your dorm, you definitely don't want to leave them behind. Even though Nemo can't go in your suitcase, you still have to remember to bring him home or arrange for him to stay with someone else over break! It would be awful to come back in January to see that your beloved beta froze in his bowl while the heat was turned off.

4. Medication

If you have any medications that you take daily, make sure you pack them and have enough refills to last you until you get back. It's also a good idea to pack some cold medication and Motrin just incase you get sick when you're at home. It's always better to be prepared.

5. Your Favorite Tea/Coffee

If there's a particular tea or coffee that you've been drinking all semester, you should bring it with you so that you can still enjoy it when you're at home. Don't count on it being available in your local grocery store either.

6. Basic Clothing Necessities

To help you lighten your suitcase, limit what you bring home for clothes. Think of ways that you can mix and match the basics of your closet to create different outfits so that you don't bring home a different outfit for every day of the month. Make sure you have plenty of socks and underwear (a week's worth should be good), a few pairs of shoes, a few pairs of jeans, basic layers, like tank tops and t-shirts, and 1-2 dressy pieces.

7. Hair Care Products

Don't forget to pack your straightening iron/curling iron, hair dryer, hairbrush, gel/mousse, and hair brush! You should also bring some bobby pins, hair elastics, head bands, or anything else you use to style your hair.

8. Toiletries

There's nothing worse than getting halfway home and realizing you forgot your toothbrush. Go through your shower caddy and grab any essentials you might need while you're home. Make sure you bring your razor, shampoo and conditioner, toothbrush, makeup and brushes, tweezers, contact lenses and solution, and any other beauty products you can't live with out.

9. Your Pillow

You've gotten used to sleeping on the same pillow for the past few months. If you can manage, bring it home with you so you don't have to adjust to a new one.

10. Christmas Gifts

Even on a college budget, you probably bought at least a couple gifts for your family or friends. Don't forget them in your dorm! If you wrapped them before you left for home, try to bring some extra wrapping paper to patch up any rips that might occur from being jostled in a suitcase.