10 Things People That Have Moved Their Entire Lives Understand All Too Well

Have you ever wondered what it is like to be a military child or someone who have moved multiple times in their lives?

367
mommyish.com

1. Every town has its own slang.

Have you ever heard the slang terms hecka, hella, finna, turnt, lit, dawg, homie, on fleek, suh, low key, etc.? if you've moved a lot in your life, you've heard them all (even the weird ones), and have probably tried to use them in a different town where not many have heard it before and probably got made fun of. Each town is so incredibly different and learning all the new lingo takes a very long time.

2. You will always fit in differently in every place you live.

At one school you could have been the most popular individual out there and everyone knew your name and random aspects about your life; however, at other schools you felt that you barely existed. Talk about a confusing sense of identity, right?

3. Your sense of style has ungergone way more changes than anyone else.

In some towns, the style was short shorts and crop tops while others were long sweaters and uggs. Some towns you couldn't be cuaght dead wearing certain colors or styles due to them representing certain gangs. Some towns cared a lot about you wore so much to the point where the dress code was very strictly enforced, while in others, people were very indifferent about what you wore. No matter what, you've been judged on quite a few occasions for your clothes not following the current expectations.

4. You have experienced both the best and the worst of school lunches.

You quickly find that no matter what, every student hates their school lunches. You wish you could tell some of the lucky ones with great school lunches how bad some of the other schools have it. but no one truly understands. You have experienced horrible portion sizes, food that you didn't actually know what it was, and lots of days you have given up and just packed your own lunches.

5. You have been bullied many times.

Every kid growing up in public schooling can relate to getting bullied at least some point in their lives; however, for you, bullying is an understatement. Sometimes it was due to simply being the new kid, other times it was because you were just different than everyone else. You didn't talk the same way, wear the same clothes, or conform to everyone's expectations. Public schools don't really do well with the idea of different. Although this bullying wasn't always physical, you will always understand and relate to what it feels like to be the outcast.

6. You're used to being considered the "new kid" and use it as an excuse ALOT.

"oh wait, that's a rule here? I didn't know! I'm new around here." If you've moved a lot, you have probably used this excuse a lot. When in doubt, ignorance is key, right?

7. You experience all aspects and differences in different public schools.

Some schools have little funding, some have too much. Some have great teachers who love their jobs, others do not. Some have school uniforms, others have no dress code whatsoever. The list goes on, and you have a good opinion of what aspects you like and don't like about public schools.

8. Staying in one sport or activity for a long time has always been difficult, causing you to be good at many things, but never the best at one thing.

You are a jack of all trades! Sometimes you love it, other times you hate it and wish you could just be amazing at just one trait. You've been on various sports teams and clubs and find that you have to leave them after such a short amount of time. at some point, you've probably just given up on joining teams due to the anticipation of having to move again.

9. You have a hard time getting close to people.

You've never really had those lifelong friends that stick by your side and have been there for you since forever. You often find yourself jealous of friends that have known each other since kindergarten and have a relationship that you could never dream of. Also, "trust issues" doesn't even begin to describe what you struggle with. You have seen your friends change so much throughout the years and you have been hurt so many times having to say goodbye countless times. You have had to say goodbye to so many people in your lifetime that you start to see yourself build up walls that only a select few can actually get past, and unfortunately this aspect of one's personality rarely fades.

10. You often find yourself jealous of those who have lived in one place their entire lives.

You wish you could have maintained long-lasting relationships, consistent sports teams, the same house, been able to paint your room and decorate it however you wanted it, etc. There are so many things you didn't get to experience due to not having the same stability most people have had in their lives, and people can't even begin to understand that. In the future; however, you will find yourself getting stir crazy when you stay in the same place for too long and will want to continue the trend of moving frequently throughout your life.

11. You are very adaptable and comfortable with change.

In the end, there are many aspects to moving that are extremely beneficial to life in the future, even though it didn't seem that way back in grade school. What I have learned going into college with these experiences is that it has made this important transition in life so much easier than it is on most people. Throughout your life, you have basically been trained for this! You are able to quickly adapt to new situations and jobs with ease and have grown to be a very independent, cultured, and knowledgeable individual.