10 Things Only Volleyball Players Understand

Because until you've played the sport, you can never fully understand the inside terminology.

3969
gomastodons.com

Coming from someone who has played volleyball at a competitive level for nearly a decade, I honestly believe it is one of the most underappreciated sports out there. It's intense, fast paced, and all around very entertaining to watch. And since I've been playing it for so long, I can also say that it is just as entertaining to play. Over the years, I've come to realize how many aspects of the game only volleyball players really know to be true. Here are ten things only volleyball players understand.

1. There is no such thing as "spiking" or a "spiker"

Anyone who has played volleyball at a competitive level knows it is really just called hitting. I know it seems crazy that it would be so simple, but it really is.

2. The same can be said for "bumping"

We actually just call this passing. And anyone who plays said position is just known as a passer. Again, it really is that simple! And just to clear it up, every other position is pretty much labeled by the action they do. Hitters are the ones who hit the ball, setters set up the hitters, and passers, well they pass the ball! Once you realize that, it's pretty easy to remember.

3. Ace cheers are really cool, but only when you're in middle school

But block cheers are a complete different story. A good block cheer never gets old.

4. We're like football players, slapping butts is completely normal

In fact, most volleyball players find it weird if you aren't slapping your teammates on the butt. It's the volleyball universal way of cheering your teammates on and telling them good job.

5. The two line rule is like a law of the game

Everybody knows it, but half the people can't actually explain it. But if you play volleyball, then you inevitably have heard of the two line rule, and you know it's sacred.

6. Constantly explaining what the person in the different colored jersey is called

This is the one position in volleyball that actually has a funky name. The person in the different colored jersey is known as a libero. All volleyball players know that, but not everybody pronounces it the same way!

7. That queen of the court never stops being fun

Whether you're in middle school or in college, if your coach says you're playing queen of the court, everybody gets excited. It means hitters finally get to pass and setters finally get to hit. Every volleyball player knows that everyone wishes they played a position that isn't theirs!

8. "Peppering" has nothing to do with seasoning food

Just like queen of the court, peppering never gets old either. It's every volleyball players favorite way to warm up and pass the time.

9. That the way you dress says a lot about how good you are

Volleyball is one of the most popular female sports. So since it involves girls, that means it also comes with all the girl stereotypes. So if you wear ankle socks and long spandex, most volleyball players will assume you're not very good. Is that totally judgmental and kinda unfair? Absolutely! But no volleyball player could ever deny how true it is.

10. A good line judge can easily make or break a match

There's a reason why all volleyball players hate being a line judge. It is easily one of the most pressured jobs there is when it comes to volleyball. If you get a bad line judge, it can completely change the outcome of a match. So every time an volleyball player goes into a match, they say two extra prayers that their line judges will be good ones.