10 Things I Learned After Finishing My First Year of College

Because my first year was full of new lessons and personal developments.

75
Alezander Wu

As I'm writing this listicle, I'm still amazed that I made it through nine months of college. It really seemed to pass quickly, and I'm astounded at how much I've actually learned and grown. Freshmen year was definitely a transitional period where I got to learn more about myself, and in turn, I've also become a lot more comfortable recognizing my own potential. Here's a list of 10 things I've learned after finishing my first year of college.

1. The Freshman 15 is real.

In my first month of college, I went from working out for two hours everyday over the summer to going out with friends at any free moment. Granted, it was the first month and I wanted to socialize, but along with the buffet style dining hall, an introduction to late night snacks, and liquids of varying colors, I found myself gaining weight insanely quick. Thankfully, it was easy to lose, but when midterms and finals hit, stress eating was always a viable option.

2. Homesickness will strike at some point.

When I applied to colleges, a majority were located in California because I thought that I wanted to get as far away from home as possible. I felt like I needed to switch coasts to establish my independence, but it sucked whenever I needed to call someone and it was 2:00am back home. I also just missed my car and all the food I grew accustomed to eating while growing up, and this really hit during exam periods when I just wanted a hug.

3. Time management

Okay, I'll admit that this is something that I'm still learning, considering that I ran to hand in a final portfolio right at noon today. Amidst balancing extracurriculars, hanging out with friends, and volunteering, I was usually up late at night trying to do work the next day. Eventually, I did develop a weekly work cycle, but fitting in exam studying times were both crucial and difficult. I'm still hopeful that I'll learn one day.

4. Naps are part of survival

I have to take a nap every day. Period. There are those professors whose voices can lull you to sleep, and those naps are the only reason why I haven't crawled onto the floor and fallen asleep mid-lecture yet. Also, when it's been a long day and the night is still young, a nap has saved me many times from probably dying before midnight hit.

5. Partying gets tiring

I definitely got pulled into party culture when I got to college, since it was something I was never a part of in high school. From pregames to walking a good amount to get to the actual events and staying out until ungodly hours, it quickly got boring within a month. While I still enjoy letting myself let loose once a month, I've gone to staying in on weekends and unwinding from all the work I have to deal with during the week. Plus, it was always embarrassing not remembering someone's name the next day.

6. It's okay to fail

I went from being a top 10% student in high school to dropping classes this year because they were too difficult. Yeah, it hit my morale, but I've learned that it happens to everyone. I had to just pick myself back up and focus on doing well in the classes I still had. It's easy to crack under pressure, but I've also recognized that my own mental health has to come before getting As.

7. Friends come and go

In my first semester, I found myself meeting new people nearly everyday, hanging out, and getting meals together. Yet, as schedules changed and classes became more challenging, I found that I lost touch with many people who I became close with in the beginning of the year. We're all still cordial, but I've accepted that there are just some people who I can always count on to save me from being alone in a study room at night.

8. Eating alone is great

Before coming to college, I never liked going out to eat by myself because I figured I would be judged by people around me. This is entirely different now. Breakfast is one of those meals I prefer to eat alone because I usually have work to finish or an exam to prepare for later in the day. Also, I just look terrible in the morning now because I don't care about looking nice for a 9:30am class. I find myself at tables all the time with other people who are by themselves, and now I'm a lot more comfortable doing so as well.

9. Exploration is key

This is true both in and out of class. I've learned that taking interesting classes, even if you have no background, can bring about a new personal interest and a possible idea for a major. For me, I knew that I always wanted to be a writer, but cognitive neuroscience was a class that I got to take that is definitely one of my favorites so far in college. Outside of school, I got to go on trips, like a weekend in Yosemite for fall break, because I went out to look for and pursue those opportunities. I can also say that I have mastered Los Angeles' terrible public transportation system because I got out and off campus.

10. I can reinvent myself

Before I came to college, people called me Alex. I was a drifter who didn't really have a solid friend group and never really left my house. I was a try-hard and I was super critical about myself. Thankfully, I'm no longer that kid. I now go by Zander, and I've grown to become a lot more relaxed. I was able to see myself develop into someone I could be proud of, and I'm still learning more about what I'm passionate about in life and what I truly want to pursue. I've grown up a lot the past year, and it was because I was able to start a new life during my first year at college. I even have a catchphrase that my friends pick on me about: "I'm Zander. I'm fun!"