10 Things IU Students Don't Know About the Indiana University Police Department

No, they aren't just here to give you a drinking ticket.

2900
Julianna Merry

Last Friday night I found myself in a place that most Indiana University students hope they never have to go: an IUPD cop car. While sitting in one of the IUPD SUVs I had seen driving around campus countless times on a ride along one busy Friday night, I realized that there is a lot that students don’t know about the police officers that do so much for our school.

The Indiana University Police Department is a full-service law enforcement agency that employs over 40 full-time police officers as well as several part-time police officers and student cadets. They work 24/7 to protect and serve Indiana University students and staff, and they do their job so well and so effectively that many students don’t see or realize many of the duties they fulfill on a daily basis.

1. They do a lot more than just give out drinking tickets.

From event security to dealing with computer hackers and domestic situations, the IUPD is not just here to give you a drinking ticket. They also act as security for important guests that come visit our campus and some officers are assigned to travel with, assist, and protect IU athletes when competing. The full-time IUPD officers students see driving around in the cop cars not only patrol the traffic around campus, but also supervise the student apartments around campus and patrol the off-campus buildings that IU owns in the town of Bloomington. They also work to find and arrest people in the area who have a warrant for their arrest and help control and supervise the homeless population in Bloomington.

2. They know how to take care of a situation more than you or your friends do.

Especially in emergency situations, trust their judgment. Their goal is to keep you safe and they are trained professionals. Even though you may be scared of a situation, it is better to get help from people who know what to do, regardless of the consequences.

3. Many of them are IU students too.

The officers you see walking around campus patrolling on foot are students just like you. They take classes, get involved in clubs, and live on campus or in the area. Many of them even live in the dorms to provide extra security there at all times. They are expected to balance their work with the IUPD and the school workload of a full-time IU student.

4. The officers have a social life.

Many student officers participate in Greek life and other organizations. At the end of the day, they are students and young adults too.

5.They work very long hours.

For a full-time officer, a typical night shift lasts 6 PM to 6 AM. Yes, that’s equivalent to a 12-hour IUDM dancer shift or approximately 33 episodes of The Office, and for all 12 of those hours they have to be alert and on guard. Student cadet’s hours vary, but many are on duty from 6:30 to 11:30 PM from Tuesday to Friday and 7 AM to 3 PM on the weekends. For special events like game days, officers often are expected to work even more hours. Student cadets have to balance the school work of a full-time IU student while also balancing their shifts at the station.

6. They can help you with event security.

The IUPD officers will work overtime to help provide security for events such as Greek Philanthropy events and concerts.

7. They aren’t here to bust your parties.

Any off-campus house party is reported to the Bloomington Police Department. On campus, parties are only investigated by the IUPD if there is a noise complaint or if the RA's report an incident.

8. They are very transparent and honest.

They were more than willing to answer any of my questions and were honest when they didn’t know something. They want students to know what the IUPD does and why they are here and are more than willing to answer student questions. The officers are constantly researching and staying up to date on changes in the law.

9. The more compliant you are with them, the more they will be with you.

They have a job to do on campus and play a huge role in keeping IU a safe place for students to live and study, which can result in some students getting in trouble. When dealing with students who are compliant and respectful they are much more likely to give them a dean’s case rather than a citation.

10. They aren’t the bad guys.

They care about and put more effort into ensuring your safety than anyone else on campus. They train and work tirelessly to ensure that you are safe in any situation. Their main job is not to get you in trouble, but to make sure IU is a safe place for everyone on campus.

Next time you see an IUPD officer, remember how much they do to keep our school safe. I would like to thank the IUPD for working with me on this project, allowing me to ride along for a night and putting up with all my questions. Special thanks goes out to Lieutenant Teter, Sergeant Moulden, Officer Alex Todd, and Officer Emily Brzegowy. Thank you for all you do.