10 Things To Experience When Dating A Dancer

Dating a dancer is like dating a whole different species.

1285
news.usc

We all know, for the most part, what to expect when you have a significant other. But dancers are a completely different story. If you're dating a dancer, or even considering it, here are 10 things you get to experience.

1. You go to all of the shows.

Even if they cross the stage once during a four hour production, they will expect you to be there, preferably with flowers.

2. They have a collection of old dance shoes.

Dancers are memory hoarders. Each pair of shoes has its own story, so we have to keep them, even if they are from our first recital when we were three, or the pair of ballet shoes that we tore through in our first semester of college. We keep them ALL.

3. They'll ask you to stretch them.

"Go farther." Yes this is a term dancers use quite often when getting stretched. No you won't break us, keep going.

4. Bobby pins.

Even if you don't live together, there will come a point in your life where you've accumulated over 100 bobby pins, and have no idea where they came from or how they got there.

5. Learning dance lingo.

If you didn't take French in high school, you'll start to learn some anyways while dating a dancer. Most of a dancer's vocabulary is French, and after listening to them talk about certain things you'll actually understand after a while.

6. "I can't I have dance."

Don't even try to fight it. Plans will be made, rescheduled, rescheduled again, and sometimes even forgotten about. We're sorry, but we have rehearsal.

7. Cracking joints.

No, we did not just dislocated our shoulders, hips, or knees, and we did not break our back or neck. Sometimes things don't feel right, and it needs to pop. Don't question it.

8. Penches.

If we bend over, the leg comes up as we go down. It's just habit, and probably instinct at this point. Watch out for the foot four feet off of the ground.

9. No filter.

Bodily functions are a part of life as a dancer. We talk about having to poop very openly.

10. Dancing in public.

The world is our stage. We tap in the grocery stores, and if a song comes on that we've done a routine to in the past you can expect a full on recital in the middle of Target.

Dating a dancer is crazy, and we're weird, but you get to grow to love someone who is incredibly dedicated and passionate about something they get to do. Thanks for dating us.