10 Things To Expect As An English Major

10 Things To Expect As An English Major

An English major doesn't define you, but it sure does help grow you.

1530
10 Things To Expect As An English Major

So I’ve only completed one year of university. I don’t know everything. I won’t know everything. But I know a few things. I’ve learned a few things. So here’s ten things I’ve learned to expect as an English major:

1. The typical question: “Oh, do you want to teach?”

Every. Single. Time. Whenever somebody learns I’m majoring in English, they assume I wish to be a teacher. Which wouldn’t be a bad thing. I adore teaching and I adore English and I adore English teachers. But that isn’t my primary goal in majoring in English. Perhaps people just assume that’s all you can do with an English major?

2. LOTS of reading

All of the reading. Plays. Poems. Novels. Nonfiction. Prose. Essays. Articles. Signs. Menus. Songs. Newspapers. Syllabus.

You read everything. You’re expected to read everything. If you don’t do the reading for your English classes, well, you’re going to have a hard time pretending you have. Your professors are great masters of literature. Their personal book copies are tattered because of much use and much love. Don’t fool them. They’re like dragons in their own way.

3. LOTS of writing

Reading and writing sort of go hand in hand. Remember that list of what you’ll be reading? Bring that down here. You’ll be writing all sorts of things as well. It’s to stretch your ability and get you out of your comfort zone and improve you all around. Trust me in this. You’ll be grateful for it in the end.

4. LATE nights

Okay, as a college student it’s likely you’ll have late nights no matter what major you’re in, but we all have our different reasons we stay up late. As an English major sometimes you’ll need to read one hundred pages in a novel in two or three days. Which isn’t bad if you love reading (which I hope you do as an English major or you might need to rethink your life choices). Just keep this between you and me, but a little skimming here and there is permissible…

5. No room on your bookshelf

Your English classes (especially the literature ones) = lots of novels. You’ll probably want hard copies of the exact kind your professor is using so it’s easier to find the spot they’re pulling from. And let’s be real for a moment. At some point in your life you’ve probably written in your books. Honestly, writing in your books might become your new best friend during these next four years. But you can only write in your books if you own them. My shelves were overflowing with personal books from home and books from my classes. But I’m okay with that.

6. Shakespeare

If you aren’t in love with Shakespeare yet (hello, high school freshman year Romeo and Juliet), prepare to fall hard. Just kidding. You don’t have to fall in love with Shakespeare, but make an effort to understand because he isn’t gone yet. For some people this comes naturally. Others, like myself, find Shakespeare absolutely foreign. It’s all Greek to me.

7. Riveting discussions

Hopefully your professors are intriguing. Generally, they have a wealth of knowledge about literature and writing and authors and characters as well as real life experience! Woah! They’re also usually excellent conversationalists who know how to dig deeper and inspire never-before-had thoughts about society and humanity and God. (Oh, peers count for this as well, believe me!)

8. New experiences

I’ve read many things so far that I never thought I would. I’ve written many things that I never thought I would. I’ve learned many things I never thought I would. And it’s been a beautiful adventure.

9. All the opportunities

Being an English major gives you chances at things some people wouldn’t get. You get to edit papers (which can actually be really fun even if you hate grammar--sorry not sorry, grammar nazis). You get to write articles for magazines and websites and blogs and wow so many things have happened since I started school last fall and I’m excited to see what else shall take place!

10. Growth

Okay, a lot of these items are things that everybody gets when going to college. Growth is one of them. As you meet people and have classes and live life, you grow. You grow in your reading tastes and expand your boundaries. You discover new authors to adore. You learn that you love writing research papers or poetry or brochures. And all of this helps you become who you’re supposed to be.

An English major doesn’t define you, but it sure does help grow you!