10 Things To Consider Before Choosing A College

There is a road of never-ending possibilities in front of you.

473
Jillian Stobodzian

Senior year is a very stressful time for high school students. It’s many of their lasts, many of their firsts, and a lot of decision making. The good news is that deciding which college you want to go to is not a permanent decision, the bad news is that sometimes it’s hard to know whether you’re making the right decision (causing lots of stress).

If you’re just applying for colleges or still making the big decision, and feel a little or very lost, there is no need to fear. These are the 10 things you should look into before choosing a college:

1. Visit every school

This is kind of a given, but any school that you have thought about or heard good things about: VISIT. Choosing a school because it has pretty pictures on the catalog will not give you a feel for the campus, the food, or the classroom sizes. Those things may not seem like they’re all that big of a deal, but if you’re going to be living at the college, all of those things are your life. There’s only so many things you can cook with a microwave.

2. Visit the schools in your top 3 again

If it’s getting close to decision time or if you are just undecided between a few schools, visit them again. Some colleges will have different tours for accepted students and will give a better feel of the school. Visiting again may help you decide on the one, or it may just help shorten your list. Sometimes you realize you actually hate a school, and sometimes you realize that it is your match made in heaven.

3. Do your research

You may want to actually do this prior to visiting a campus so you can find questions to ask while visiting, but doing so after a visit doesn’t hurt either. Even if you know any alumni or a current student, asking them a few questions that you may not be comfortable asking a tour guide or a professor may help in your decision making. Find some background information on the school, and what they’re all about. Get a feel of how the student body likes the school. It’s a good indicator for telling if a school is right for you, so make sure to do your research.

4. Make friends

This isn’t easy for everyone, but chances are you’re going to have to do this at some point when you actually get to college. If there’s someone that seems to be similar to you in your tour group, try talking to them. It’s good to make friends early on because if that college ends up being the one you choose, the first week may be a little less stressful knowing you have a friend. Meeting people early on may also give you a chance to have a roommate that you already get along with, and won’t have to get to know during the first few weeks of school. Remember that everyone else is just as nervous as you are, someone else will probably be looking for a friend too.

5. Don't choose a school because your friends did

I can't stress this one enough: do not choose a school solely because you have a friend that’s going there. College is a great time to venture out, to meet new people, but it’s mostly to get an education. While it is great to have friends, don’t forget the reason you’re going to college (Hint: it’s not because of your friends). You may also be saying, “I like the friends I have though.” You can still keep your old friends, but don’t be opposed to choosing a different school and making new ones. Quick reminder: living with someone is a lot different than hanging out with them.

6. Pay attention to the college's surroundings

As I said before, this is your life. There’s a lot of factors that come into play with this one. Will you have a car? Will you have a job? How close are you to home? How similar/different is the area compared to home? See what the area around the campus is like around 20 minutes away. If you find that there’s not much there for you, you may want to consider another school that is more of your taste.

7. Check your financial aid

Money is usually one of the biggest factors in a student’s decision in a college. Financial aid usually has an estimated cost for how much you’ll be paying out of pocket, and the colleges of your interest will usually send you a financial aid package. Look over the financial aid packages, and compare them. Find what colleges are giving you a better deal, and will leave you in less debt. Think about the long run, do you want to pay off another student loan or take a trip to the Bahamas? The decision is all yours.

8. Talk to your parents

Parents, I know. *eye-roll* They annoy you, they stress you out, and they love you. This is stressful for your parents too, and you may try to back away from them because their input may cause you more stress. Remember though, that this is so important. Talk to them about what schools are your favorites, talk to them about any of your concerns, and go over the cost of each school with your parents. Ask them what college they like the most or they find to be the best option. You don’t have to choose their favorite school, but hearing their opinions may make the decision easier.

9. Be proactive

Once you start narrowing down your schools, start planning out how you’ll pay for everything. Will you need to take out loans, and how much in loans? What are your parents paying for? Will you have to pay for anything? This should give you a good idea on what you need to do the summer before college so you don’t run into complications during the semester, and should save you some stress at school as well.

10. Go with your heart

Overall, this is your life. This will be your every day, your education, your new friends, and your fun weekends. If there is a college that you are dead set on going to, and there is one little reason that is holding you back — ignore it. Choosing the college where you feel most at home or feels best for you might end up being the wrong decision, but it also might end up being the best decision you could’ve made. If you’re struggling to choose a school, and there’s a certain one that you just keep picturing yourself at or it makes your heart race with excitement every time you think of it then I advise you to listen to your heart.

Choosing a college is not an easy task, and it’s a huge step in your life. Although, it is not the end of the world if you choose a college and hate it. Just making a few proactive and smart decisions ahead of time will make the overall process a little less stressful. To all of the fraught students out there, this is the beginning of a new journey. It is okay to make mistakes, to feel clueless, to ask for help, and to be nervous. There is a road of never-ending possibilities in front of you, and even if the first road is not the right one you will get to where you need to go.