10 Things College Students Look Forward To Over Thanksgiving Break

Break out your stretchy pants, it's finally Thanksgiving!

66
Google

Ahh, the best time of year is finally here! Now, don’t get me wrong; I am a lover of all things fall but there is something so special about the holiday season. I am most definitely a holiday enthusiast; cue Mariah Carey All I Want For Christmas Is You as I wrap presents under a Christmas tree. But, before I delve into the wonders of Christmas, we must pay tribute to the hidden gem that is Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving starts the holiday season off with a bang (a day dedicated to food?! No bang could be bigger). As my first semester of college races to a finish, I am definitely looking forward to taking a break from all the stress that comes along at the end of the semester, and Thanksgiving break is just that! Here are 10 things I, and probably every other college student, are looking forward to over Thanksgiving break.

1) Family: After all, isn’t family what the holidays are all about? I can’t wait to see not just my immediate family but my huge extended family that I have not seen since the summer- bring on all their questions about school and concerns about well, everything. Never thought I would say this but I miss the loud, can’t hear yourself think, craziness that describes my family at every gathering.

2) Pets: My dogs are the ultimate cuddle buddies and I cannot wait to receive all the love and licks from them. The funny pictures I get sent daily do not make it any easier to be away from them; I am just as excited as they are to finally be reunited.

3) Friends: I have to be honest, this is the one I am looking forward to the most. I talk to my family almost every day and have seen them on the occasions that I've been home since the beginning of the school year. But there is nothing I am more excited to do than squeeze my friends and never let go. Whether they were a couple hours away or across the country, three months is way too long to go without seeing them everyday. I can’t wait to reunite with all my friends over Thanksgiving break and catch each other up on everything that is going on in our lives and on all the good gossip.

4) Food: and not just my mom’s homemade food; Thanksgiving food too!! After eating what could be considered a diet consisting of primarily french fries from the dining hall and soup for the past three months, I am so looking forward to having all my favorite foods when I go home- even if that means I am going to eat a ton of calories in a very small period of time (calories don't count when you're on break right?). And of course, can’t forget the Thanksgiving leftovers that will definitely be coming back to school with me!

5) Sleeping In My Own Bed: There is just something that makes my home bed seem like the biggest, fluffiest, most comfiest piece of furniture after sleeping in a cramped, twin sized, bunk bed for the past three months.

6) Showering Without Shoes: There is beauty in the little things in life and showering without shoes is definitely one of those little things. Finally, I can enjoy a shower without wondering who was in the shower before me and why they would leave so much hair all over. Thank you, God.

7) Sleeping In: Finally; some much-needed rest and relaxation after midterms and right before finals! When on break, no alarms need to be set, no work needs to get done, and no effort needs to go into your appearance. That last one sounds like something to truly be thankful for in itself.

8) Black Friday Shopping: This one definitely might not be for everyone, but if you and your friends are anything like mine, we go hard. Sure, we aren’t really searching for any deals per say, but the thrill of going out super late on Thanksgiving night into Friday morning is enough to make anyone look forward to the Black Friday madness.

9) Finally Catching Up On My Shows: After desperately trying to constrain myself from looking at any spoilers or talking to my friends that are caught up, I am very prepared to claim my spot on the couch and get up to date on all my favorite shows. And of course, we can’t forget the traditional Macy’s parade and football games that are on all Thanksgiving Day!

10) Going To My Favorite Hometown Spots:Whether it’s eating at a couple little restaurants, visiting my old high school to catch up with my favorite teachers, or just taking a walk around the neighborhood, nothing beats being back in your hometown and taking a trip down memory lane- even if it's only for a little bit.

And just like that, Thanksgiving break is over and us college students trek back to school to finish the semester out strong, or at least give it out best shot. I hope everyone has a great time visiting their hometowns and has a Happy Thanksgiving!! Now, how many days until Winter Break again?