10 Things To Do Before Finals Week Begins

Some tips to help you survive finals.

72
pixabay.com

The time is almost here. The one time of the semester that everybody dreads-Finals Week. While this week may push you to your limits, there are some ways to alleviate some stress.

1. Determine your grades

If you can, see what grade you have in the class. This will allow you to prioritize. You also know what classes will be easy and what will be harder. Don't waste your time studying for a test that you know you'll pass or you don't need to do as well on. Instead, devote more of your time to the classes that really need your attention.

2. Clean your room

No, I'm not your mother but it does help. A clean room portrays that you have your life together, plus you won't be scrambling to find something in that one drawer full of junk. You don't have to be detailed about cleaning either. Just do your laundry, change your sheets, and organize any messes. Once you have your room clean, it'll be one less thing to worry about. Plus you won't have to worry at the end of the semester as you head home.

3. Finish binging your show (or at least the season)

Lo ok, I understand. I've binged many shows and I know the feeling. But nothing is worse than trying to study for Finals and wondering what Walter White will do next or who gets the Iron Throne or who Ted's mother is. If you can, finish the show. If not, at least find a good stopping point such as the end of a season. Don't start anything new! Netflix will just drag you back into their pit of eternal shows and you will be tempted to watch it instead of studying. Just cut the cord and wait until you get home. If you are gonna take a break, watch a movie, not a TV series. You won't wonder "what's next" and can go back to studying.

4. Organize your notes

Whether it's index cards, post-it notes, or simply categorizing your notes, it will make studying a lot easier. No more flipping through notebooks trying to find out what was said about Aristotle. If your notebook is organized, then that means less stress while studying, and more time to study! It's a win-win situation.

5. Plan something post-finals

And not just when you're going home. Plan a night out with friends back home. It's almost like setting yourself a goal. If you finish finals week, you get to do whatever that activity is. It could be a beach day, a movie, or a dinner. Whatever floats your boat, plan it ahead of time and make it something you can look forward to.

6. Take a day off

Preferably not a day with classes, but at least take a night off. The ideal night off is as follows: Pajamas, Movie, Ice Cream. That's it. It's stupidly simple but it will allow your brain to relax and rest for just a bit before the intense amount of studying begins. Don't worry about when your finals are or what to study. Just watch a movie and let yourself be enveloped into the world of that movie.

7. Plan your study groups

Nothing is worse than trying to plan a study group at the last minute, resulting in your meeting at 2 am for your 8 am final.Instead, plan your study sessions early. You won't be rushing around last minute, plus you'll be able to add more sessions if you need to. It eliminates stress, and you don't want more stress during finals week.

8. Stock up on snack foods

However, try to be healthy. Don't grab bags of chips and chocolate. Go for food that will keep you full, but not make you gain a second Freshmen-15. Grab-snacks are always great to have because soemtimes you're in the zone and leaving your room throws that off. You'll be able to grab that snack and back to studying you go! A candy bar is also a nice treat occasionally, but not too many!

9. Sleep

I can't count how many hours of sleep I've lost due to finals week. Before it all starts, get some rest. Don't party, don't pull all-nighters, just get some sleep. Your brain will thank you for this later and you'll last much longer when it approaches the end of Finals Week.

10. Cry

If you don't cry, is it even Finals Week? It's OK to cry. Let it out and get rid of all the negative things. Don't stop until it's all out.

There you have it. 10 things that will help you survive Finals Week. Are they a guarantee? No. But they will at least help a bit.