10 Things I Didn't Appreciate Before College

It's the little things

22
cloud front

Until we head off to college and have to live on our own, most of us don't realize how easy or convenient we had it. We have to grow up and finally do stuff on our own that at least I didn't realize was such a burden. Taking time out of your day to do loads of laundry, clean dishes, etc. It's really a drag growing up. Here's a list of just some things that I didn't appreciate until I came to college.

1. My Mom

Who could possibly not appreciate their mom anyways? I definitely didn't understand the time and energy she put into my needs until I got to college though. She would do absolutely anything and everything I needed. She did things like take my car to the car wash, do my laundry, bring me home food, take me places, cheer me up, made me laugh, give me the best hugs, and pretty much everything in between. She was my go to person, and I never really realized it until she wasn't right upstairs.

2. My Dad

The amount of things I have had to learn how to do without my dad blows. My dad was always Mr. Fix Everything. I never had to deal with my car, or the broken TV, or the clogged toilet. He would fix everything for me with no questions asked. He was always making sure I was on top of responsibilities and made sure I could always stand up for myself. He was always someone I could joke with, and could always give me a good laugh. He was my advice guru even if it was down right mean. I definitely miss having my backbone and my favorite dance partner.

3. Home Cooked Meals

There is no doubt in my mind that every single person in college misses their parent's cooking. No question.

4. Distance from Car

Having to walk down three floors and a mile up a hill is really exhausting plus either sweaty or chilly. When you're home not only can you walk straight out to your car, you can even start it and go back inside to warm it up! Oh the good days.

5. Clean Place

Now that you live on your own, most people don't realize how hard it is to keep the place clean. You have to vacuum, clean the sink full of dishes, scrub the toilet, wipe down the counter tops, mop the floor, etc. Most of the time we are too lazy to do it so it all just piles up and you realize how thankful you should be for your mom that kept the house cleaner than yours has ever been.

6. Own Bathroom

I think everyone can agree that sharing a bathroom is not only annoying, but dirty. Having a place where you can take 30 minute long showers while singing as loud as your heart desires is what we all miss.

7. Comfy Bed

Any bed you have in college will never be as nice as the one you have back home.

8. Siblings

You think you hate them but then realize how when you have no friends they're always there and then you miss that. Sometimes I miss even arguing with my little brother because I never see him anymore.

9. High School

Okay, what? But I think we can all agree how easy high school was and how you barely ever had to study or how you were so smart then or how you had so many friends all the time or extra curricular activities or everything. Plus, I bet your high school was only five minutes from your house.

10. Money

I never had more money than I did when I was not in college. I took so much of it for granted. I'm lucky if I have over ten dollars in my account.