10 Things I am Leaving In 2016

10 Things I am Leaving In 2016

2017. I am ready.

16
10 Things I am Leaving In 2016
Unsplash

As 2016 has now come to a close, I have no realized that I, too, need to close a few books and chapters of my life.

1. Graduation, it's time I take the tassel off the rearview mirror.

In 2016 I graduated two years early. When I walked across that stage I felt as if I had just accomplished so much. You work most of your life for that diploma. Only to find out that my college didn’t even need to see my transcripts. I learned quickly that high school is nothing, it’s just something the government created for money and as an attempt to keep us out of trouble. Graduation isn’t everything, and as a new group of seniors is now able to say "we graduate this year" I know that my time has passed. But I will always remember the walk across that stage.

2. Being ashamed to be a rape victim.

I have embraced a new identity since March. This is an event I will be thrilled to leave behind me but I know I still have a long road ahead. Going into 2017 I know that what has happened is in the past and that all I can do now is try and help other people that have become victims. Together we can stop rape, and if I can't then I intend to die trying.

3. Being terrified to drive.

I was hit by a car and I have not yet recovered, but one-day time will heal us all. Every time I get behind the wheel I have to pray. It will haunt me for a while, I’m sure of it. But with the passing of each red car, it will get easier.

4. Any Questioning of My Religion.

Faith is one of the hardest things I had to learn this year. Now that I have acquired it, I will never let it go. I refuse to question again. I know what I believe and I know where I am going. My captain will not guide me anywhere but in the right direction.

5. Not Going to The Movies On Christmas.

This Christmas was nothing like the past. None of my family was in town and I got to experience a whole new world. I did end up at the movies though, that was awesome. We totally started a new tradition. Popcorn and slushies was the best Christmas dinner I’ve ever had.

6. Doubting Myself.

I am awesome, I will now refuse to forget it. I love who I am and I love even more who I am becoming. Any self-doubt is entirely unnecessary. I know that I can do anything that I set my mind to.

7. Not Writing All The Time.

Writing for The Odyssey is awesome. It’s been like free therapy for me. I get to share my thoughts with awesome people and have adopted a whole group of friends in the process. I very much refuse to not write all the time.

8. Not Having Adventure Be Part of My Life.

Recently I have met wonderful new people. Each one of them is guiding me down a path with new adventures and new life ahead. I can’t express enough gratitude to those of you that have been there to lead me on a new adventure.

9. Being A Picky Eater.

Someone new in my life has recently been telling me to become less of a picky eater. I will try orange cheese more in 2017, but I am promising now that I am not going anywhere near dark meat or Brussel sprouts.

10. Toxic People.

Goodbye toxic people. I have no room for you in my life now. I have changed and I refuse to go back.